help - can these eggs be fertile???

LZRDGRL

Today, a surprise awaited me: my thinnest gecko, a Tremper Reverse Stripe (Twiggy) who has been to the vet twice on June 20 and July 9 due to underweight and pinworms had laid two big, healthy-looking eggs this morning!!!

Her weight at the vet a week ago was 32 grams (BEFORE she laid the eggs). When I bought her last month, she was only 27 grams. I had been so happy that she seemed to gain weight and was eating fine, and that after her 2-weeks Panacur treatment she seemed to be alright now.

My question is: can those eggs be fertile??? I don't think she was gravid when I got her (at 27 grams?). I had her in a quarantine tank because I already expected she had parasites or something. Only on the day I got her and the following day, she could have come in brief contact with my breeder male, Nikita, while I set up / cleaned her quarantine tank. But since she was so shy and always hiding I never suspected he could have mated with her. It's quite unlikely.

Did she just ovulate (as a virgin), and will the eggs be infertile? They look good, so I put them in the Hovobator, anyway. Is there a way to tell from the looks, without candling them?

What do I do with Twiggy IF they prove to be fertile? If she has stored sperm somehow, she'll become gravid every three weeks now, right? That must be a big health risk for a thin girl like her, even if she's feeding well on fatty waxworms now. Her tail cannot be compared to the big tails of my other geckos. :main_huh:

Although I would be thrilled to have my first two babies, I hope for her that she's still a virgin.

Twiggys%20eggs.jpg

two%20eggs.jpg

Hovobator.jpg

proud%20mom.jpg

Bling_my_leo

Lizard Lady ツ
If she has not been with any males then the eggs are in virtile. I'd say they look in vertile.. Sorry.... Wow, what a skinny leo!!

Visit our friends