Help: Egg Incubation with GEO (Gecko Egg Organizer)

Josh P.

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for experienced help with the medium/water ratio on the GEO to incubate leopard gecko eggs. Medium used is the recommended perlite.

If we go to the official website (Link: The G.E.O. (Gecko Egg Organizer)) they recommend 8oz perlite and 5oz water by volume, not weight. That website and ration was also previously pointed out by another member of this forum in a different thread.

8oz of perlite means 237mL
5oz of water means 148mL

That said the ratio recommended on that website must be wrong as that would mean having the eggs sitting on pools of water. If we place 237mL of perlite with 148mL of water and press the GEO platform on the perlite so that the deli cup can be closed the bays for the eggs get completely submerged in water so this can't be right.

Anyone else who had experience with the GEO and perlite could please provide some input? Especially someone who's familiar with standard units such as mL and other European standards.

Thank you very much.

cowana

Whenever you use any incubation media, regardless of whether using a GEO, SIM, etc., you should set it up at least 24-48 hours before the eggs are laid and have it in the the incubator to get to temp. I actually put mine in the incubator a week before so I know the eggs are going into a deli cup of the correct temp and humidity medium. In that time the perlite will absorb the water and "fluff up" so your eggs would not, in fact, be sitting in pools of water. Just give it time to do it's thing. :)

EDIT: Actually, now I'm starting to think I have vermiculite and perlite confused on the fluff up part, so I may be wrong on that. Sorry.

Last edited:

Music City Geckos

Are you using the cups provided from gecko guy? Because the cups provided are 16oz deli cups and there is plenty of room for the medium, eggs and water. I'll attach some pictures below for you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Josh P.

Thanks for the replies. The GEO were sold with the deli cups but they seem smaller, maybe around 12oz. Any idea what ratio should I use then?

Visit our friends