Help! Injured Gecko!

Paolo D Felix

Hello guys! I found this wild philippine gecko on our porch. He's got bite marks all over his back and his tail is gone. It appears our house cat went hunting last night and found this poor creature.

I washed him with tap water because ants are starting to crawl on him. He's still breathing. I currently placed him in a small aquarium and applied betadine on his wounds.

What else can I do for him? I want him to live because as I have heard, these guys are now endangered here in my country!

Here's the pic of the poor fellow:

http://instagram.com/p/VyGGUlnWHJ/

Ruby

Is that a tokay gecko? No limbs are missing, so that's a plus. I would put water in the cage, and just give him time.

Caleb C

Sucks that it died, but it probably was going to sooner or later due to the injuries. It's good that people are captively breeding various species now, so if they really have problems sustaining a population in the wild, we can find better places for them and introduce them there. Humans and other species can't get along too well, we usually end up taking their habitats and turning them into land for ourselves.

Ruby

Poor thing! At least you tried. I agree Caleb, when humans have their minds set on progression, nothing will stop them, be it living or dead.

Geckomaster743

Sorry I wasn't able to comment earlier, Apparently my post never came out. But yes Im not suprised your poor little guy passed away. Ive attempted to save tons of house geckos from the clutches of my cat but the infection's caused by cats are too much for them to handle. He was probably infected where the wound was which caused energy to slip away from him or he died from too much stress and pain, It can actually happen. In the future if this happens again have some Neospirn ready. Sorry for your loss :/

Caleb C

I don't think that Neosporin would save a cut. Neosporin disinfects and speeds up healing, but a cat will do way too much damage to the fragile reptile for Neosporin to help. Reptiles are relatively strong overall, but a cat is way bigger than most reptiles. If someone three times as big as you hit you really hard, you would probably die as well.

Geckomaster743

While that is true Caleb it can still provide a fighting chance. Though Calebs right the survival rate of a gecko that small surviving a hit from some thing that big has very little chance.

Visit our friends