Help Injured Wild Gecko

Laney007

I found an injured house gecko outside. It was covered in ants. It had dropped its tail and couldn’t move back legs. I took in hose and got ants off him. Put him in a terrarium. Tried feeding small crickets and mealworms. No luck. He started shedding 2 days ago. Still shedding. He is fast when disturbed. It is day 5. He has not eaten, I mist him and soaked him day before shed. He’s still shedding not eating what should I do. Vets in area say he is an invasive species and would euthanize. Please help. image.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
THere's nothing much you can do besides keep him at the appropriate temperature (if you don't know what that is, do some internet research; I don't know myself), offer him appropriate sized feeders and hope for the best. Sometimes there are internal injuries that you can't see, so he may not make it, but give it a try.

Aliza

Yvonne G

Administrator
Staff member
Some wild creatures just don't do well in captivity. Is it really an invasive species? If so, don't release it back into the wild, but if it's not invasive, it would be best to put it back where you found it.

Laney007

Some wild creatures just don't do well in captivity. Is it really an invasive species? If so, don't release it back into the wild, but if it's not invasive, it would be best to put it back where you found it.
Should I do that even if he can’t use his back legs? I just want to do the best thing for him. I don’t want him to die because I gave up and put him outside. He’s super fast still and I made him low things to practice climbing on. He fell upside down last night and couldn’t flip himself over. I was going to build him a gecko hotel outside out of stone crab traps. I always see geckos hiding in them and then he might have good shelter. Maybe then he would eat and drink water. Thoughts???

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I doubt he'll survive in the wild and may not even survive with you, but it's worth a try. Just google "house gecko care" and see what happens.

Aliza

Visit our friends