Help is he worth it? Help !!!!!

E

EARRNHARDT3

I found this guy for sale locally for $50 and it includes 10 gallon, tank under tank heater and a water dish.

Well I talked to the currant owner and asked some question and to find out they have never offered any calcium of any sort and they just give it 25-50 crickets once a week.
They sent me a picture of it and the tank is bare and very dirty but it looks healthy ?

What you guys think?
After I see the picture I recivied I think I need to recsue him.

newerstuff003.jpg

GeckoGal

GeckoGal
well, In my opinion any leopard gecko is worth 50 bucks :) He looks like he is kept on sand and he isn't supplied a calcium dish so he might have some health issues, but it's your choice.

Olimpia

La Española
Dude, if your gut tells you he's not being well taken care of then just rescue him. Don't ask us lol if you have the money, time, and effort to dedicate to the little guy then go for it.

snakegirl

Yes, but remember with any rescue there are risks. Such as are you ready to handle...

A sick gecko that Needs lots of special care?
A gecko that might have not been handled much, so he/she could be jumpy.
A gecko that could be a hard to feed?
A vet on hand to help you if the sickness is very bad?
Some things you should know you can handle before taking him in. If you can then i would! good luck!

Last edited:

THE WHISPERER

IMO saving a gecko that's not well taken care of is the same wether you get it from a chain store or off of someone privately. you are supporting people with bad husbandry skills. I would ask myself, why are they getting rid of it? Chances are they bought it on an inpulse buy, never did any research and eventually got board with it. Now they want $50 for it so they can go and buy the next new cool thing that everyone is into. Which they probably won't research and won't take proper care of. Like the big chain pet stores that are known for inproper care, i personally wouldn't support this. Saving this animal could be dooming another or several more. I would suggest that you inform them that the gecko isn't being properly taken care of and if they're interested in it having a good home you will gladly take it off there hands and maybe give them $15 for the tank and heat pad. Once again JMO.

E

EARRNHARDT3

This same person that has the Leo also has 4 snakes they are trying to sell. I think they are wanting out of reptiles. They claim that the Leo it was given to them about 3 years ago from some one that did not want it any more. They also said they never pick it up only to clean it's tank and by the looks of the pictures it's not very offen!!!!!!

So I don't know what to do? It about 45 min. drive away to see it. And as far as I know there are no vet's where i live that will deal with reptiles.

What to do ? !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your help

E3

T

Tsks7205

He look healthy from the picture but looks can be deceiving. Its a decision you have to make. you have to ask yourself if you have the time, money, and a vet. (If not a vet then at least some knowledge with rehabilitating reptiles.) If you do go through with it and get the little fella then I wish you the best of luck with him. Rescuing reptiles and rehabilitating them gives me a rewarding feeling knowing I helped make their little lives better and sent off to a better home that will take care of them.

Olimpia

La Española
What are the issues making you flip back and forth between rescuing him or not?

I understand that it can be a hard decision. Do I have the money? The time? Is it going to pay off? I recently rescued a crested gecko from a pet store because she was just in a terrible condition. Thin, with deformed limbs, and skiddish. I knew that she was probably never going to be a gecko that would be friendly, and that maybe she would need special care for the rest of her life. But I really felt that I had a moral obligation, as a person who CAN take proper care of a gecko, to rescue her.

And after three weeks of better living conditions, more food, and careful care she has done a complete 180. She is now eating hungrily on her own, gaining weight, and is actually pretty tame. The experience has been really rewarding, and I don't regret the effort.

So you have to sit down and think if you have what it takes to make this guy's life a better one. If you do, and you are willing to, you will probably never regret having rescued the little guy.

THE WHISPERER

I think they are wanting out of reptiles. They claim that the Leo it was given to them about 3 years ago from some one that did not want it any more. They also said they never pick it up only to clean it's tank and by the looks of the pictures it's not very offen!!!!!!

What to do ? !!!!!!!!!!!

E3

If it was given to them by someone that didn't want it, then they should just give it away beings that they don't want it. I personally wouldn't pay for it, but would definatly give it a good home. I say push for the adoption.

Stitchex

If it was given to them by someone that didn't want it, then they should just give it away beings that they don't want it. I personally wouldn't pay for it, but would definatly give it a good home. I say push for the adoption.

Same here, it's not right for them to sell something that they got for free, then neglected.

lady.gekko

I agree with THE WHISPERER...If they got it for free, why are they trying to sell it, if they just want it gone? I don't think $50 is a lot for the leo, but also it could have possible problems due to neglect, like everyone else has said. The leo looks ok, but after having it for a few days and seeing it in person, will it stand up to that?

I paid $60 to get a leo out of a situation that I felt bad for it, however it isn't always problem free afterward.

Visit our friends