Help! Is it mating season or should I be concerned?

kayleani

Hello there! I most normally read other forums about gecko care to get all my information, but I am a little more concerned this time around and can't find a discussion that matches my situation.
I am a proud mama of two leopard geckos, one female and one male, who have grown up together for quite a few years now. They were adopted together at 8 months old in 2018 and have been together since. I had recently gotten them off an old friend who simply did not want them anymore and was looking to get rid of them. Their furniture and their tank has stayed the same from the day they had been purchased. They live in a 20 gallon tank with two hides, one cold and one warm. They are fed 10-15 large crickets a week. I do not gut load the crickets, I just purchase them from the store.

My issue is relatively new. The boy has gotten very territorial toward the female and bites her tail and legs. Whenever she wants to go into the warm hide, he bites her, does some rapid tail shakes, and eventually forces her out of the hide. She has been in the cold hide and I'm worried for her temperature. She hasn't gone into the warm hide as this has gone on for at least 2 weeks now.

The male has also gotten very afraid of me. He used to be very loving and would want to come out and walk around with me, but now when I walk into the room, he makes a break for it into his hide (the warm one). On the occasion, he'll venture into the cold hide, but bites the female out in the process.

This has never happened prior to this month. I have had them since mid September of 2020 and I'm really concerned I'm not doing a good job at husbandry. I do not have the funds to purchase another tank for either one of them and I just want them to get along again. There has been no bloodshed or screaming from them, but I'm still worried. I know that males tend to get bitey during mating season but I don't know the aggressiveness of it. Thank you all in advance!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Yes, it's breeding season. One of my females just stopped eating and I checked her and discovered that she's ovulating. You could put 2 hides in the warm part of the cage and maybe they'll each take one. You should consider separating them. I don't know what happened last year at this time, but male and female together usually leads to eggs and it's kind of a shame to have the female use all those physical resources for nothing.

Aliza

kayleani

Yes, it's breeding season. One of my females just stopped eating and I checked her and discovered that she's ovulating. You could put 2 hides in the warm part of the cage and maybe they'll each take one. You should consider separating them. I don't know what happened last year at this time, but male and female together usually leads to eggs and it's kind of a shame to have the female use all those physical resources for nothing.

Aliza
they had only had an egg together once in their past around 2019. They just started sharing the hide last night because it gets too cold during the night for her. How long would this behavior normally last?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Since they can't keep each other warm (they're cold blooded) I doubt they're sharing the hide because of the cold, unless that hide is warmer than any other one. Assuming that you have more than 1 hide on the hot side and that each one is actually warm, you may want to consider taking the hides out and cleaning them, cleaning the floor, then putting the hides back in, maybe in a different order to see if they'll separate. If the hides are different shapes, you may need to get identical hides (that are the shape of the current preferred hide). If that doesn't work, you may need to separate them. Mating can go on for a number of months. This is just the beginning.

Aliza

kayleani

I'll try that and let you know. I'm worried that if i separate them and put one into a temporary set up, they wont ever be compatible to house together again and I can't afford nor have enough space for another tank :(. Thank you!

Onelifegecs

I'll try that and let you know. I'm worried that if i separate them and put one into a temporary set up, they wont ever be compatible to house together again and I can't afford nor have enough space for another tank :(. Thank you!
It’s not ideal and they should be separated however is there some way you could make a divider and split the tank (with an added heat source and various hides. This isn’t the best situation but it will put less stress on the female until breeding season is over or until you can get another setup.There’s always the option of making some kind of bin cage also With a cheap rubbermaid tub.

Visit our friends