Help me translate this please?!

gko reptiles

A New Generation
Hello everyone! I'm having morph issues... Everyone has different names for the same morphs, and I wanted to help clarify some of them b/c I think that since there are so many different versions, no one, (especially myself), can keep them straight!! Please, if you have input of any kind, post something!!!!! This is the way I call different morphs...

Hybino/Sunglow - albino x tangerine (line bred)
Tangerine (T)- any pattern, slightest orange coloration instead of wildtype 'tan'
Hypo (Hypomelanistic; H) - few dark spots (approx 12 or less), tangerine color
Super-Hypomelanistic (SH) - orange bodied geckos, NO black pigment on body, can have spots on head
Baldy (B) - NO dark spotting on head
Carrottail (CT) - tail is at least 30% orange
Carrothead (CH) - Orange that extends past the ear openings onto the head

Is this right? and if so, why is a normal tang referred to as a SHTCT on almost every leo site? If anyone has thoughts, please post them!!!

W

Wretched

I think I may take pictures of all my geckos and have you define them for me ;) i'm such a bad judge. I have a white one wit black spots, a little guy who is purple who folks tell me will be a patternless.. and some carot tails with very little to know spots, other than that... no idea...

gko reptiles

A New Generation
lol I'd be happy to! The 'purple' one sounds like a patternless or blizzard (same thing) that's the only purple leos that I know of. I'm really not familiar with 'white geckos' because I don't deal with snows.

Hey here's an idea, if everyone wants to, post a few pics and label them somehow, let us know what you call them!! I'll put one up first as an example! Good idea Wretched!

gko reptiles

A New Generation
Troy CHHTCTB

This is Troy. I would call him a Carrothead Hypo melanistic Tangerine Carrottail Baldy (or CHHTCTB) He's not a 'super' in my, or Tremper's, book because of his single black spot on his back.

W

Wretched

i have a girl just like, cept she's not baldy and her spot is higher up

S

sbord_tom

Why do you call him a carrothead it's not orange ? or is he a het for carrot head ?

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
I can't spend too much time right now, I have to go to work ASAP.

Hypo - a reduced amount of black, normally refering to the body. Most breeders cut the number of spots allowed at 10 - 12. The full term is "hypomelanistic", and it refers ONLY to the color black. The background color can be pretty much anything else.

Super Hypo - an absence of black, again refering to the body in the case of leos. Most people agree that there should be no spots at all to qualify for the term super hypo. As with the term Hypo, the background color can be anything.

I can spend more time on this if someone else hasn't gotten to it by the time I get home.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
PS: Patternless and Blizzards are two very different morphs, both recessive, that can be (on occasion) confusing because as adults they may look similar.

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
Peeeersonally, anything that has a loss of black spots should fit the term "Hypo". However, breeders wanted kinda a cut and dry. Now your leo I would consider all those except Carrot Head. I really do not see the orange. He may have had it at one time, but not any longer. I would still qualify him as a SHTCT, however he's got a beauty mark :) lol.

C

chad e

Hybino/Sunglow - albino x tangerine (line bred)

actually no, thats called a super-tangerine albino. a hybino is a hypo and an albino showing at the same time. you need the ray hines hypo gene for it to be considered a hybino.

Last edited by a moderator:

gko reptiles

A New Generation
I go by Tremper's book... I also did not consider him a carrothead, but the book says something to the affect of "orange that extends past the ear openings", which Troy's coloration does. I don't want to say Tremper's book is wrong, but... maybe it is?

gko reptiles

A New Generation
chad e said:
actually no, thats called a super-tangerine albino. a hybino is a hypo and an albino showing at the same time. you need the ray hines hypo gene for it to be considered a hybino.

Yes, you're right... I didn't have the book on me when I wrote the first post, so I apologize for the confusion!

S

sbord_tom

Ohh it's just i have seen the caarrot-heads on trempers web-sight and he did not look like a carrot head but know that you "said" something i remember reading abouit that in ron's book or should i call it the "leopard gecko Bible"

Visit our friends