HELP, my Fat Tail has a bloated belly and is not defficating for approx. 2 weeks.

HLK

Can anyone tell me why my Fat Tail may be bloated? Im wondering if there is some kind of blockage? She lives on the shredded bark as bedding. Could she have ingested some. Or is there another possibility?

geckobabies

African Fat Tails <3
Could be blockage, could be parasites, could be ovulation/eggs it could be a lot of things. We need more history. How long has it been since she's ate? Passed a stool? Is she drinking? You can dry soaking her to hydrate her which could help her pass a stool if it's not a serious blockage.

HLK

Could be blockage, could be parasites, could be ovulation/eggs it could be a lot of things. We need more history. How long has it been since she's ate? Passed a stool? Is she drinking? You can dry soaking her to hydrate her which could help her pass a stool if it's not a serious blockage.

Hi, and thank you. She eats a few crickets each day. It has been two weeks since she has passed a stool. I don't know if she is drinking as I never see her drink and I just keep her water cup filled up. Can you tell me how to soak her/him? How warm the water and how long and often to do so? Because she/he has not passed a stool for so long, I am thinking that's what the problem may be. However, what could the blockage be from? The coconut bedding, calcium dusting from the crickets? I'm just not sure. Any help you can provide would be great.
If it is parasites, how are they dealt with?
Many Thanks

geckobabies

African Fat Tails <3
You're welcome :)

You can also try spraying down the sides of her tank and/or humid hide with a spray bottle.. some geckos prefer to get their water that way instead of a cup. Especially if it's a younger gecko. How old is the gecko? Is it an import or from a breeder?

Soaking is easy. Put it in a cup/container filled with 1/8" to 1/4" water (depending on how big your gecko is) filled with luke warm clean fresh water and let it sit in there about fifteen minutes once a day. Always observe the gecko in case it gets tired/weak and problems arise. The idea is to allow the water to soak into the vent area. If it's dehydrated this can help it pass a stool.

Calcium powder will not cause impaction. Too large of crickets could cause the problem. Parasites are treated with oral medicine usually through a fecal sample. If it won't give you a stool sample to check, you can still take the gecko to the vet for an exam where the Dr. can observe and look for other clues such as MBD, calcium deficiency etc. and treat from there.

I would start with a soak first and go from there.. unless you see other obvious signs such as not being able to walk properly, sleeping all the time and non-active when handled etc.

Good luck :)

HLK

You're welcome :)

You can also try spraying down the sides of her tank and/or humid hide with a spray bottle.. some geckos prefer to get their water that way instead of a cup. Especially if it's a younger gecko. How old is the gecko? Is it an import or from a breeder?

Soaking is easy. Put it in a cup/container filled with 1/8" to 1/4" water (depending on how big your gecko is) filled with luke warm clean fresh water and let it sit in there about fifteen minutes once a day. Always observe the gecko in case it gets tired/weak and problems arise. The idea is to allow the water to soak into the vent area. If it's dehydrated this can help it pass a stool.

Calcium powder will not cause impaction. Too large of crickets could cause the problem. Parasites are treated with oral medicine usually through a fecal sample. If it won't give you a stool sample to check, you can still take the gecko to the vet for an exam where the Dr. can observe and look for other clues such as MBD, calcium deficiency etc. and treat from there.

I would start with a soak first and go from there.. unless you see other obvious signs such as not being able to walk properly, sleeping all the time and non-active when handled etc.

Good luck :)

Many Thanks!
I started the soaking yesterday. I do spray down the tank twice daily for humidity. Do you recommend going to a reptile vet or do most vets handle geckos? I got the gecko from a friend of mine who bred it. It is about 3 years old. She/he is still seems normal activity wise and is eating, but w/ not passing any fecal matter and the distended belly I am concerned. Many thanks again!

DrCarrotTail

I would recommend trying to find a reptile vet or calling around to ask if a local vet has some experience with reptiles. Unless vets go out o their way to seek training and knowledge I don't think exotics are a big part of their experience and their knowledge could be close to none.

geckobabies

African Fat Tails <3
Many Thanks!
I started the soaking yesterday. I do spray down the tank twice daily for humidity. Do you recommend going to a reptile vet or do most vets handle geckos? I got the gecko from a friend of mine who bred it. It is about 3 years old. She/he is still seems normal activity wise and is eating, but w/ not passing any fecal matter and the distended belly I am concerned. Many thanks again!

I would highly suggest finding a reptile vet if you can. They will have a better understanding of what's going on, and be able to prescribe meds to help with what they think is wrong. If you don't have a reptile vet, a normal vet is still worth a shot, but I would call them, explain the situation and see if they can suggest anything or seem to know what to do.

Visit our friends