Help needed please!

Albatross

Hi everyone, my father found a baby gecko in the house today while sweeping so he called me to pick it up and put it back outside. When I picked him up I noticed one of his back legs appeared to be broken? His leg rests sort of under his tail, hasn't moved it once. I'm not sure if my father accidentally hurt him or if it's an old injury. He's been placed in a clean, empty 2L ice cream tub with some paper towel and small pebbles and shells to hide under. I used a spray bottle earlier to add a little water to one side of the tub, because according to the internet he'll lick it off there rather than drink from a water dish?
I've identified him as a young Cape Dwarf Gecko (Lygodactylus capensis). I have no idea how/what to feed him. I offered him a few small ants by placing them in the tub but after a few hours of watching him go up to them and just ignoring them I took them out again (I'm not sure if they'd be able to hurt him or not so I'd rather not risk leaving him unattended with them).
I'm not sure what to do. I think he's too small for me to be able to do anything for his leg, but I'd hate to just let him go because he's not capable of running/jumping so I'm almost certain he'll be eaten by something else. Please, if anyone has any advice on what to do it'd be greatly appreciated.
I've tried attaching a picture I took of him earlier.

Attachments

• 20210118_122053.jpg
    20210118_122053.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If it's truly from the Genus Lagodactylus, it's an arboreal gecko (I keep L. williamsi). Put it in something on the tallish side (at that size 12" tall is fine). Feed it very small crickets (pinheads if possible, though they may be hard for you to get), flightless fruit flies and get a small package of Crested Gecko Diet (CGD) which is a fruit powder that you reconstitute with water. Most of this will be available at a pet store. There's nothing you can do about the leg at that size. Many geckos with broken legs eventually heal without intervention. There's a chance the gecko won't survive, that it's been damaged in ways that don't show, but it's worth a try.

Aliza

Albatross

Thank you so much. Most people here don't keep them as pets because they're so common, so it was difficult to find anything on how to care for them.
I should be able to get the foods you recommend from the pet store later today. I'm also trying to work on a better enclosure for him, in the meantime I'll try placing a few more things for him to climb on.
It's a shame about his leg, but I do have good news! I checked on him this morning and he actually seems a little more active than yesterday :)

I do have another question, would it be okay for me to leave one of the pebbles outside and then place it back into his enclosure later as a basking stone? I think he's nocturnal (vertical slit pupils) so I'm not sure if he would use it.

Albatross

Just another quick update: I used a syringe to put a few drops of water on several rocks/shells, came back to find him licking them off! May not be eating but at least he's staying hydrated.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here's a care sheet from Supreme Gecko, who I trust to be accurate. They are actually diurnal:

vhttps://www.supremegecko.com/lygodactylus-capensis

Aliza

Albatross

That guide was really helpful, thank you!

He moved around quite a bit today, even climbed one of the smaller branches I put in. I still haven't seen him eat anything but I did find poop so I'm assuming he's been eating the dead insects I leave overnight for him. Still unable to run/jump but otherwise he seems very active and healthy. I'll try and take a photo update tomorrow when he comes out to drink water.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Glad things are going better. I never see my L. williamsi eat anything. Here's a picture of "Mr. Blue" surveying his kingdom:

Aliza

Attachments

• Mr.Bluejpg.jpg
    Mr.Bluejpg.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 6

Albatross

Aw, he's such a cutie.

My little guy actually climbed out this morning but luckily I found him right next to the tub, sitting on my notebook. Got the tub a lid so he doesn't go on any more 'adventures'.

Attachments

• IMG-20210121-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20210121-WA0009.jpeg
    920.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20210121-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20210121-WA0000.jpeg
    858.3 KB · Views: 5

Onelifegecs

I found one of the geckos Half dead in a bathroom at my church about a year ago. I identified it as a Mediterranean House Gecko but thats a broad category they look similar so I’m going to let You know what i did because it seems to be working. I have my gecko in a 12by 12 by 18 exo terra. From what i could figure out they needed a higher humidity so i have Created a planted tank in organic potting soil. They need a little more traction then the glass so i left the background on. (but to prevent her from getting behind it i stuffed paper towels in any gecko sized holes:). I mist the tank in the morning and at night ands she licks it off the plants. I feed her fruit flies and i found the best way to dust them is to put them in a medicine bottle and shake them. Oh and i use a ceramic heat emitter set too about 80. I think thats it if you have any questions or found this helpful pleas let me know best of luck :)

Onelifegecs

Here’s a picture of a Mediterranean House Gecko for reference

Attachments

• 89C02D43-1137-4C54-A806-2C4403AE8E26.jpeg
    89C02D43-1137-4C54-A806-2C4403AE8E26.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 2

Visit our friends