Help Please!

GeckoGuru

I have a female C. mitratus that has problems shedding. She is in her own eclosure, and she is misted every two days, and has her own moist hide. A shed stuck to her belly, and I didn't notice it. All of my other C. mitratus are fine.

Anyway ,she now has some brownish, almost scablike skin on her neck and her belly that smells foul (literally, the gecko smells right there). Should I take her to the vet, or can I put athletes foot powder on her there?

Any and all of your feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

G

Gecko

It's fine balancing act, but when I noticed skin discoloration once I dried things out and kept the animal warmer. I caught it early so it went away, but you may be at the stage you need at least topical antibiotics or something.

If it's merely stuck skin problems and not a skin problem you may want to look at the vitamin regimen (if this is a stronly reproductive female).

Last edited by a moderator:

GeckoGuru

Thanks for your help. I moved her to a drier enclosure, and I realized that I can wipe the brownish stuff off. It is already almost all gone. I got almost all of the bad shed off of her too.

I am sure that she is feeling much better now.

She is still producing eggs, but she hasn't been with a male for at least 2.5 months. I give her calcium 6 days a week and then Herptivite once a week. Is that a good regimen?

G

Gecko

Remember these are humid living geckos. Not to dry and not to warm.

I actually got skin shedding problems I thought were vit. deficiencys in heavily producing female fat tails supplemented only with herptivite after year two. I suspect the levels of something may not be high enough for some females. This is just my theory though not fact.

I gut loaded better and stuff went away after the breeding season. You may try feeding your feeder insects foods high in Vit A and E temperarily and see if you notice an improvement. Remember they can overdose if these are in the pure form. (So I use beta carotiene, etc.)

Visit our friends