help with a tiny gargoyle gecko

Cheryl Frain

I got the sweetest little gargoyle about a month ago. It weighs 3 grams but I see little evidence of it eating. I know that a lot of times you can't even see that food is gone from the dish but there is rarely even poop. I tried giving it a small cricket but it was not interested. It mostly hangs out on top of it's plant and seems alert and fine. So am I worrying for nothing? Any ideas of what to feed him/her? I currently use repashy crested gecko diet. We have 5 cresties and this is our first gargoyle so maybe I just need to chill out.Thanks

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
What size enclosure do you have it in? I keep my garg hatchlings in 6qt shoeboxes with a hide, a "branch" to sit on, small water dish and CGD in a bottle cap. Initially I dip the garg's nose in the CGD and they soon get the idea. If you have it in a larger enclosure it may be too large for it.

Aliza

Cheryl Frain

I'm using a medium size critter keeper. He also has a hide , fake plant and a bottle cap of cgd. I'll try the nose trick. At least he'll lick it off right?

BeardieBeast91

I'm using a medium size critter keeper. He also has a hide , fake plant and a bottle cap of cgd. I'll try the nose trick. At least he'll lick it off right?
Well, first off your tank is too small. I would get a 5 gallon glass terrarium, or a 3 gallon LARGE SIZE critter keeper. The medium is too small for my taste. Otherwise, keep doing what you are doing, you sound like you are taking good care of her. I've actually learned that holding your garg and holding the cap of CGD up to their face will usually make them eat. It might not work, but it's worth a shot. What substrate are you using, and what is the temperatures in his cage??

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Actually, for a tiny garg, I think the medium sized kritter keeper is OK. Mine are thriving in 6qt tubs at that size. However, there are a variety of ways to accomplish the same thing.

Aliza

Cheryl Frain

I'm using paper towel for substrate and temps are in the low to mid 70's. I tried putting some cgd on my finger up to his mouth and it kind of scared him. Maybe super slow motion next time.

Cheryl Frain

I've seen a couple little poops and more evidence of him eating a bit. The scale hasn`t gone up but I still haven`t gotten a scale that measures less than full grams. He`s such a tiny , delicate little ting and I always worry when they`re so small. I`ll definitely be happy when the scale moves.

Visit our friends