help with controlling heat

reds_21

I am in the final stages of setting up our 29 gallon leopard gecko tank. we are still fighting the heat control

the hot side of our tank is running at 100 degrees. i need to get this heat down to the low-mid 90's. i am having a hard time finding a thermostat to control the UTH.

i have found some thermostats at Home Depot for like $20 but the max temp they go to is 90. i am not sure how to hook them up. it looks like i will have to cut the heater cord to splice into the thermostat. are their not plug in thermostats?

is there a place that you know of that i can buy a thermostat that wont screw me on shipping? i dont want to spend more than $30 if possible

any help? :main_huh:

77gecko

what's one more....
I use a light dimmer switch from Lowes ($10) You plug the heater into the dimmer and then plug the dimmer into the outlet. It has a slide on it and it works like a rhetrostat. I plugged it in and let the tank warm up and then just slowly slide the switch down until I got the correct temps. Easy peasy :)

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Built In Heat Control

I am in the final stages of setting up our 29 gallon leopard gecko tank. we are still fighting the heat control

the hot side of our tank is running at 100 degrees. i need to get this heat down to the low-mid 90's. i am having a hard time finding a thermostat to control the UTH.

I am a hobbyist...Up to 30 aquariums ranging from
10 gal. to 55 gal. I currently have 20 tanks in use,
housing 28 geckos. I have UTH on all tanks, carpet
and tile used on floor and temperatures checked
regular at the floor level range in some
above 100. I have never used a thermostat or
reostat at any time in about 5 gecko years.
I constantly observe my geckos for all types
of testing................
they adjust their own temperatures just fine.
At first I was certainly concerned with all the
need for controls comments.....
but all is well in my mind on my care methods
and appearance/health of all my geckos
Take care. HJ

reds_21

thanks guys. just to put my mind at ease, i bought a thermostat online yesterday. it delays our gecko purchase but id feel better knowing that my temps are maintained at the right degree.

there is a juvenile gecko at ******** here by home that has been there for about a week, i just hope that its there in about another week when we get the thermostat in. if not, ah well, we will continue to look elsewhere. :(

Visit our friends