Help with leopard gecko eggs

Rylee

3 Year Member
I am very confused: some breeders say to leave the just-hatched hatchlings(Leopard gecko) in the incubator for a day or two. Others say take them out immediatley and put them on paper towel substrate. Which method have you guys had success with?

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Sorry Rylee, I don't have specific experience with leopard eggs. I probably wouldn't be of much help to you at this point anyway.
Can anyone else weigh in on what they do immediately after their leopard geckos lay?

jfreemo75

3 Year Member
I am very confused: some breeders say to leave the just-hatched hatchlings(Leopard gecko) in the incubator for a day or two. Others say take them out immediatley and put them on paper towel substrate. Which method have you guys had success with?

We leave them in the incubator until the little bit of umbilical cord falls off, usually a day. If it is still on after 24 hours, we go ahead and put them into a kritter keeper with paper towel. I've read that you should wait until they first shed and poop, but I feel bad about leaving them in a little deli cup for too long. Hope this helps! :)

Rylee

3 Year Member
We leave them in the incubator until the little bit of umbilical cord falls off, usually a day. If it is still on after 24 hours, we go ahead and put them into a kritter keeper with paper towel. I've read that you should wait until they first shed and poop, but I feel bad about leaving them in a little deli cup for too long. Hope this helps! :)
Thanks! Sounds like it'll work.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I usually remove them as soon as I find them. My egg containers are usually sealed and I open them every couple of days during incubation. But I worry the babies don't have enough air, so I have special "shoebox" setups for them. I also prefer newspaper as substrate, because the babies always seem to catch their claws on the paper towels.

anne taylor

3 Year Member
Hi Rylee if its any help i breed leopard gecko's and have 3 at the moment,i put them in a white plastic container with kitchen paper on floor ,a plastic milk bottle top for waterand leave that in the incubator for about 6 hours after hatching then i put the plasric container in to the top of my vivarium on the mesh top and they have done very well like this,do put a row of holes along each end of the plastic box for air.Hope this is of some help.

Visit our friends