Help With My New Crestie !

AAGeckos

I'm getting my first crested gecko & i couldnt be any more excited. i just wanted too know if there is anything i should know or do before i bring her home!?

Dron2124

Crested
um read caresheets and know what your getting and what your animal needs before you purchase it. Not trying to be a but i have seen this same type of thread at least 40 times in the past week on three different forums that I am on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sidhe

Just read caresheets and make sure you have all the proper elements before you bring the gecko home. Make sure your viv has lots of plant cover; real or artificial doesn't matter, as long as there is plenty for the gecko to climb on and hide in. :)

hdavidf309

Friendly herp enthusiast
i agree with everything said, but have a little more info-
Caresheets are a great way to start learning about care on crested geckos, where they "come from", and some insite on what to look for in times of panic with them (which rarely happens), but in my oppinion, the best thing to do is look at old forum posts and see what people have learned and done in real life experiences. You will get great ideas on how to care the best way, how to be safety concious, how to SAVE $$$$, and altogether "know your cresteds like the back of your hand". All cresteds are different, but care is about the same. What I do is this:
BABIES-

hdavidf309

Friendly herp enthusiast
sORRY...THAT WAS WEIRD......
BABIES- I use a paper towel substrate or NO substrate in a "small" sized critter keeper all the way until they are a juvie (about 10-15 grams) with a food bowl, crickets twice a week, misting 2 times a day, and things to climb on. Foliage/climbing things should be small as the gecko will get confused as to where food is and it will make it hard for them to eat. Just enough so they can hide, ok? On top of that monitor growth rates, the size of thier tails and make sure they have good sheds.
ADULTS- Much like the babies, I keep a food bowl (bigger) in the enclosure and mist 2 times a day. Crickets (dusted with calcium/vitamins) are offered about 3 times weekly. Substrate is a mix of eco-earth, green moss, and play sand and is about 2.5-3 inches deep. Many more branches, fake or real plants, and climbing objects are used and enclosure size is about 12x12x18 usually. This is a great size for cresteds, and I usually transfer mine from the critter keepers to this size encloseure when they are ready......if its possible. Again, monitor growth rates and sheds on a regular basis.

Visit our friends