help with temperature plz

mariex4

ok i might be getting abit high on ma horse but whats the temp ment to be in the tank as my geckos tank is at 73f at night then goes to about 80-90 during the day is this ok for the babys as im bit worried thanks everyone :)

first pic is the tank i have poly covering the gap at top as its a fish tank lid with light but bit to small so put that over to try and keep the heat ,
the second and 3rd pic is of the same tank but with different design and has been seperated with poly as i have my baby tango female and baby plum male and had to sepperate them , for the heat pad i got a very large one thats in the middle so they both have heat

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It depends on whether you're talking about temperature on the floor or in the air. If you're talking about the floor temperature, it's too low, but I suspect you're talking about air temp. In that case, I have heard 2 conflicting opinions expressed on the forum:

--the ambient temperature (air temp) should be kept at least in the 70's if not higher for best animal health

--as long as there is adequate belly heat and a hide that will trap some of that heat, normal household ambient temps (i.e. 60's or above) is probably OK.

I subscribe to the second opinion and my geckos are fine. You could always experiment and see what works better.

Aliza

mariex4

hi i put my temp reader in the cave which ive made and its says 86.2 in the hide were the heat mat is and the air temp goes from 73f to 77 during the day and night even the second layer of my home made caves as seen in pic is at 86.2 is this ok or do i need to make more heat thanks for help so far

OneFootedAce

hi i put my temp reader in the cave which ive made and its says 86.2 in the hide were the heat mat is and the air temp goes from 73f to 77 during the day and night even the second layer of my home made caves as seen in pic is at 86.2 is this ok or do i need to make more heat thanks for help so far

air temps are fine IMO, but bump up your hot spot to 91-95 degrees.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The first and easiest thing to do is to tape some aluminum foil over the bottom of the heat mat --so the heat mat is sandwiched in between the outside bottom of the tank and the aluminum foil. This will direct more of the heat upward into the tank. If the heat mat is still not getting hot enough here are some other alternatives:

--make the substrate thinner (unless it is already something thin like carpet; I can't tell because I can't see the picture right now)

--check the heat mat to make sure it's putting out as much power as it's supposed to. The heat mat should say on the packaging (if you threw it away, just look on a packaged one at the store) how many watts it's supposed to put out. Have yours checked with a watt-meter to see if it's at or near that amount. If it's much different, you may have a defective heat mat

--if your heat mat is too small for the size tank you have you may have to get a bigger, more powerful one

--you could consider a ceramic heat emitter which may heat up the floor of the tank as well

Other people may have other ideas which they will hopefully post here.

Aliza

mariex4

i have paper down , so i could try the heat mat under the tank then peice of silver foil over top , im thinking of getting a bigger mat anyways but will do that this going to be fun getting everything out to tip the tank on its side but guess will be kinda fun hehehehehehe ty for that il prob get heat mat next week as no boody money ill keep posted

Srt14292

Est; 1992
This may sound silly but im not sure if you have stated this already. Have you got your mat hooked up to a thermostat?
If so its pretty easy to turn up the heat by just adjusting your stat.

+1 about the aluminium as well though.

kaikara

are you sure you are actually capturing the temp of the floor or is it the air temp in the cave. You need to be using a probe that is touching the floor or a laser type temp reader that can take spot temps. Just make sure you are getting an accurate reading before you go and start buying other equipment.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
This may sound silly but im not sure if you have stated this already. Have you got your mat hooked up to a thermostat?
If so its pretty easy to turn up the heat by just adjusting your stat.

+1 about the aluminium as well though.

If you're not using a thermostat and the temps are really too low then a thermostat will not do anything because the thermostat cannot make the temps go higher than the heat mat goes on its own. If you get a larger heat mat you may need a thermostat so the temps don't get too high.

ALiza

Visit our friends