Hi Im Nicole

N

nicolenadia

Hi All,
About 2 years ago, I went to a non chain pet store to buy some dog food. A friend of mine, who has more rescued reptiles than anyone I know, was sick and I wanted to get him a leopard gecko as a gift. I ended up keeping her since he didn't know when he could take her. It all started from there and 12leos later, I am here. My co workers refer to me as the Gecko lady, almost like a cat lady. I am a professional photograher, so I photograph my gecko "children" quite often. Im not into mass breeding and selling right now. I am learning as much as I can and really enjoying them. I have a female ball python also. Eventually, I would like to start a rescue in my area. I sucessfully hatched a clutch from my very first female leo. They are beautiful lavander/high yellow babies. All my females are gravid right now and Im still debating whether I want to incubate them. If I buy a new rack next month, I most likely will, but I won't sell them.

I have become very interested in terraiums. I have a large dessert habitat with live plants in a 30 long, with 1 male and 3 females. The rest of my leos are in a rack. I explained in another post how I use sand, but not colored or pet store sand. I bake kids play sand from Home Depot and mix it with vermiulite, organic potting soil, river bed rocks and some plant charcoal for humidity absorbtion. They have been doing great in the tank for over a year.I do not feed them crickets. I only feed them super worms, wax worms on occasion and pinkies. I use plate for the worms, so they still get to "hunt", but they don't end up eating sand with their worms. They will run up to my tongs when they see pinkies and eat right from the tongs. I believe this is the key to success when choosing to keep them on sand.

I will post pictures eventually.

Nice to meet you all.

N

nicolenadia

gecko_tank_2.jpg

It still needs some work- I have some more colorful cactus and succulants on the way. Notice one of the underground buroughs, at the bottom. Its on a 6am-6pm cycle, so this was during the day....and "Sherbert", the male tangerine, felt like coming out to greet me.

L

LadyGecko

Awesome set-up
I love that tank
:D
It sounds like that your Leos don't mind the lighting on it
Are they out and about often during the day with the lights on?
Oh-and can i ask what type of lighting do you use on that tank?
I would love to do a beardie tank like that but the way that they dig-i don't think that it would have the sand and the plants in the same place for long
LOL

Thanks so very much for sharing with us
Sandy

N

nicolenadia

Thanks so much everyone for the great feed back. Its still a work in prgress though. The geckos don't seem tom ind the light at all, and Shertbert, my male(the one in the pic) comes out quite often. The females are not out much during the day though. At night they are very active. The plant lighting could be improved.Ideally, I would use Metal Halide, if it was purely a plant tank, but it wouldmake it unbearably hot for the geckos. Im working on finding better spectrum lighting that will help my plants and not make the take above 100degrees. Currently, I only use a 48 plant light tube from Home depot and their heat lamps. At night they have one moon night bulb and a heating pad because my home can be a bit chilly at night. I have seen beardies rearrange their tanks. Cactus shouldn't be used becasue they could injure themselves, but soft succulants might be ok, but I highly reccomend that you use a drift wood and drill a hole in the wood and then plant the plant in that hole with some soil, and then the the plant onto the wood with fishing twine. You will have a better chance of the beardie not pulling it out of the soil. Air plants are great too because you can tie them onto anything, and they do not need soil.

S

sacredcreatures

Hi Nicole, Where in Northern VA are you? I am in Winchester, VA. Welcome to this forum. The people here are very nice and knowledgable. Do you go to any reptile shows? Maybe we can meet up some time. I'll be at the Hamburg show Dec 2. Love your set up, Deb :D

N

nicolenadia

Hi Debbie- Im in Falls Church just right outside of DC. I most likely will be going to Hamburg and Havre De Grace. not 100% sure though. You will have a table? Im the one who thinks Hamburg is "scuzzy" remeber from the thread...I only think that because some of the vendors are scuzzy and their animals look sick and I think the company that removes the venom glands( I won't say the name but we all know) are scuzzbags....and we got feeders form the guy upfront and they were covered in their own crap and once thawed out smelled terrible and looked as though they were kept in pretty bad quarters before their demise. One guy was really condensending towards me at the first Hamburg show I went to, so I always pass his table now. He keeps large TOKAYS in deli cups and they are always on their backs and can't move. I just think some vendors(not all) are cruel and are only looking to make a buck instead of really valuing the hobby....
sorry for the tangent....lol

S

sacredcreatures

I agree with you on everthing you said Nicole, There are quite a few people at shows who are just in it for the money and do not care for the reptiles/animals. I know just who you are talking about. This will be my first time vending therebut I have been going for a few years now. I only picked Hamburg because it gets very busy. I hope I can handle it. LOL I hope you go there. I do Havre de Grace and Mananssas too will you be at either one? You are fairly close to me about 45 minutes away. Thats cool I have met quite a few reptile people on these different forums. Well I hope to see you at a show if you decide to go to one PM me and let me know. Deb

Visit our friends