Hmm, so the key is to pretend they don't exist!

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
I've had a small colony of Blaberus discoidalis going for a little over a year now. For quite some time, I was very diligent about making sure they got fresh fruit, had good heat and humidity, had plenty of gutload to munch on, and fresh water. All that work, and I got very little results. I was only able to feed off several dozen roaches. They just weren't producing. Eventually, I got tired of doing so much work for so little results. I started putting fruit and food in once a week, and I was getting the same results when I was putting a lot of time into them. Finally, I just ignored them all together. I swear, for the last month I hadn't put in any fruit, water, or food. If they died, then so be it, i had other things to focus my attention on.

Come last night, I realise how long it had been since I had thrown anything in for them, so I decided to thrown in an apple and some food....and the babies came out of the wood work. I just don't get it! There are 100's of young nymphs. I spent a few hours today separating the nymphs and adults. The pic is AFTER I had tossed 2 - 3 dozen nymphs in with the adults to mature. The one on the left has nymphs up to 1" long, and the other is full of nymphs from freshly born to 3/8" long.

I don't plan on ignoring them so much, but I really don't understand why when I worked my butt of, I got nearly nothing; and when I forgot about them the population exploded. There are at least 3 very gravid females ready to drop more nymphs any day now. :inquisitive:

Last edited:

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Shanti, I started a discoid colony since December last year with 50 mixed sized nymphs. I change their fresh food daily (I do it in the morning when all roaches are hiding in the egg crates); it had no effect on their reproduction. I cleaned their tub last month and I have hundreds of nymphs (maybe up to 300-400's).

The problem over here, is that NO ONE in my house likes them! I have different geckos that chew and chew and chew then spit it out; and I don't know why... Everywhere I heard geckos will love them, but NONE of my geckos will eat them.

From now on, I'll only give them discoids and nothing else. Hopefully, one day they'll accept their new food.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
I have a few geckos that LOVE their discoids. I was bummed every time I ran out of nymphs. I should be good for a long time now. LOL

I'm happy to see so many new (small) nymph because I want to use them for the hatchling geckos. When I was able to feed them to Noel and Serenity, they did very, very well. No crickets for me! YAY!

Visit our friends