Home made decor

Bex1

I like to make my own (safe) decor. I started doing this after issues with store bought aquarium decor killing my fish. So, when we got our leos, it just occurred to me to do the same for their decor as well.

I've used:
Salt dough (2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, one cup water. Bake at 250F for an hour)
polymer clay, by itself, or on a jar
Styrofoam (hot glued together)

and I've covered the polymer and styrofoam with grout, it doesn't like to stick to the dough clay.

Sealed with Krylon fusion polyurethane, cured for at least 24-48 hrs (until it doesn't smell), and then viola!! Decor!

Styrofoam
DIY 047.jpg

Polymer clay (sculpey)
DIY 038.jpg
Expandable foam with grout
DIY 017.jpg

Polymer clay - before grout
DIY 023.jpg
the two larger ones are glass fruit jars wrapped in polymer, the small one was built over tinfoil to get the shape, then all 3 painted in grout and sealed.
DIY 031.jpg

polymer clay - grouted and sealed DIY 037.jpg

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
MAN These are so AWESOME! Nice work and thank you for sharing!
I'm going to have to get crafty and up my game a bit!

Medic1167

Crayola makes an air-dry clay that's inexpensive and easy to work with. It takes paints and stains well and is safe for pets. Got a 2.5 lb bucket at Walmart for $5 and comes in white or terra cotta.

Bex1

I haven't seen that around here, but something like that would be nice to work with. I'd probably go crazy waiting for it to dry though, I get impatient waiting for sealant to cure.

Medic1167

It dries pretty fast. After an hour it firms up enough to sculpt with tools and wetting your finger and rubbing if softens it up to remold with.
A day or 2 later (depending on how large or thick you made it) and it's rock hard.

Visit our friends