Homemade Feeding Ledge

Embrace Calamity

So I wanted to get a ledge feeder for my mourning geckos because they're never on the ground where their food is. Like this:

smWorm_Feeder_Ledg_.jpg

Problem is that the ones I could find were a bit too big and a good $20 - which is about all I have in my bank account. XD I have some nice thick styrofoam I can use and can just buy some magnets, but my only question is, what can I use to cover it? I'd like it to look semi-natural, but I want to make 100% certain that I don't use anything harmful.

On the other hand, someone suggested I use velcro to attach a small dish inside the viv, like this:
blue-5.jpg

I'm not sure I like the idea of putting velcro inside the enclosure though.

So what would y'all suggest?

~Maggot

SC Geckos

Problem is that the ones I could find were a bit too big and a good $20 - which is about all I have in my bank account. XD I have some nice thick styrofoam I can use and can just buy some magnets, but my only question is, what can I use to cover it? I'd like it to look semi-natural, but I want to make 100% certain that I don't use anything harmful.

You can cover the styrofoam with a few layers of grout, paint it, and then seal it with non toxic (water based) grout sealer or modge podge sealer. You can check out LizardLandscapes website or on YouTube to see how it's done.

Embrace Calamity

You can cover the styrofoam with a few layers of grout, paint it, and then seal it with non toxic (water based) grout sealer or modge podge sealer. You can check out LizardLandscapes website or on YouTube to see how it's done.
Not to be a smartass, but do I really need grout? I mean, can I not just paint the styrofoam?

~Maggot

DrCarrotTail

Styrofoam is pretty porous and coating it with something like grout or silicone caulk seals it so bacteria can't grow in the little holes. I'm not sure if there's a paint that would do the same and be non-toxic but its possible.

Some guy on the tarantula forums posted some pictures of how he takes something like a Gatorade cap and hot glues Reptibark on his water bowls - it looks super neat! He just hot glues his to the sides of his enclosures but I'm sure you could figure out a way to attach some suction cups if you wanted to be able to move it.

Embrace Calamity

Styrofoam is pretty porous and coating it with something like grout or silicone caulk seals it so bacteria can't grow in the little holes. I'm not sure if there's a paint that would do the same and be non-toxic but its possible.

Some guy on the tarantula forums posted some pictures of how he takes something like a Gatorade cap and hot glues Reptibark on his water bowls - it looks super neat! He just hot glues his to the sides of his enclosures but I'm sure you could figure out a way to attach some suction cups if you wanted to be able to move it.
Ooohhhh, okay. Would Great Stuff work? I think we might have grout though, so does it matter what kind if I sue that?

So he just has a little cap sticking to the side of his enclosure? Is it for a gecko or a tarantula? Do they just like jump onto it? I'm just having trouble picturing what you're describing, sorry. :)

EDIT: For the record, when I say "styrofoam," I mean the stuff you use for insulation:
rigid-extruded-polystyrene-insulation-panel-with-thermal-bridge-break-61705-2034929.jpg

But thicker, like this:
dow-styrofoam-roofmate-sl-x-extruded-polystyrene-insulation--26318.jpg

So it's really solid and sturdy.

~Maggot

Last edited:

DrCarrotTail

Arboreal tarantulas can walk right up the glass - no jumping required. I'm learning tarantula hobbyists prefer dishes up off the floor since tarantulas tend to fill them with dirt and can get a tad territorial when you reach in to take their bowl out - so the less sticking your hand in the better...haha.

I think that Styrofoam is fine. Where'd you find it? I need to go hunt some down to start making nice showy cages for a few creatures :)

As for the grout/caulk (not sure if its the same?). I hear there's toxic stuff in any of the products that have a mildew-prevention chemical mixed in though it can be hard to tell since those that don't actually have a chemical still say "mildew resistant" since they're naturally that way. If you hunt around the web you may be able to find some posts on which kinds are okay. Other than that, from what I've been reading the main thing is to let it cure thoroughly. I think a lot of caulk/grout says it cures (i.e. cure = basically all the chemicals that keep it soft and pliant and will kill your pets evaporate) in 24 hours but lots of people say to wait at least 48 hour if not a week or more before putting it into an animal's enclosure in order to allow extra time for any thicker patches to make sure they cure. Also not to use the stuff in your animal room. Not sure if geckos are as sensitive as tarantulas but I would be cautious. TarantulaGuy1976 has some great tutorials on youtube or making backgrounds and stuff - I was occupied for an entire night watching him...haha.

Embrace Calamity

Arboreal tarantulas can walk right up the glass - no jumping required. I'm learning tarantula hobbyists prefer dishes up off the floor since tarantulas tend to fill them with dirt and can get a tad territorial when you reach in to take their bowl out - so the less sticking your hand in the better...haha.
I've never even heard of that. That's cool. :D
I think that Styrofoam is fine. Where'd you find it? I need to go hunt some down to start making nice showy cages for a few creatures :)
It was just laying around the house actually. We put it in a window when my brother broke it years ago, and it's not been used since. So recently I used most of it to make a background for my croc gecko's enclosure and figured I'd use the rest of it for other herp stuff. :)
As for the grout/caulk (not sure if its the same?). I hear there's toxic stuff in any of the products that have a mildew-prevention chemical mixed in though it can be hard to tell since those that don't actually have a chemical still say "mildew resistant" since they're naturally that way. If you hunt around the web you may be able to find some posts on which kinds are okay. Other than that, from what I've been reading the main thing is to let it cure thoroughly. I think a lot of caulk/grout says it cures (i.e. cure = basically all the chemicals that keep it soft and pliant and will kill your pets evaporate) in 24 hours but lots of people say to wait at least 48 hour if not a week or more before putting it into an animal's enclosure in order to allow extra time for any thicker patches to make sure they cure. Also not to use the stuff in your animal room. Not sure if geckos are as sensitive as tarantulas but I would be cautious. TarantulaGuy1976 has some great tutorials on youtube or making backgrounds and stuff - I was occupied for an entire night watching him...haha.
Would Great Stuff work in place of the caulk? I think I have some left over from making the background.

~Maggot

DrCarrotTail

Would Great Stuff work in place of the caulk? I think I have some left over from making the background.[/QUOTE said:
I'm just not sure and don't wanna give an answer that might kill someone's pet so I probably gave too much information in the hopes that it might help you decide from the product label :)

From what I gathered its not so much about whether they eat it but whether it lets off toxic fumes or chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin. I would assume that if its safe to use on a background it should be okay for a feeding ledge. Especially since your mourning geckos can stick themselves to the background and walk up it...can't they? They may absorb things through their skin/feet if so.

I'll be interested to know if it is or if other folks have other products that they have used or that they know are safe. I need to pick up some to play with soon but am nervous about picking up the wrong thing and wasting a whole lot of material.

Embrace Calamity

I'm just not sure and don't wanna give an answer that might kill someone's pet so I probably gave too much information in the hopes that it might help you decide from the product label :)

From what I gathered its not so much about whether they eat it but whether it lets off toxic fumes or chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin. I would assume that if its safe to use on a background it should be okay for a feeding ledge. Especially since your mourning geckos can stick themselves to the background and walk up it...can't they? They may absorb things through their skin/feet if so.

I'll be interested to know if it is or if other folks have other products that they have used or that they know are safe. I need to pick up some to play with soon but am nervous about picking up the wrong thing and wasting a whole lot of material.
Well the background is in with my croc gecko, not the mournings, and I've never seen him climb it. But it's coated in sealant and then Eco Earth, so I'm not sure he'd be able to grip it. I guess theoretically I could do it the same way I made the background - styrofoam covered in Great Stuff and then sealed with aquarium sealant, then I could just apply paint to that.

~Maggot

DrCarrotTail

They also make sealant in different colors including a few shades of brown. May be worth it to cut out the extra painting step and find some of that - its what I plan to do if I ever get my ass in gear about the whole tank making thing...haha.

Embrace Calamity

They also make sealant in different colors including a few shades of brown. May be worth it to cut out the extra painting step and find some of that - its what I plan to do if I ever get my ass in gear about the whole tank making thing...haha.
Well I have the Great Stuff and sealant and maybe some rock-ish paint somewhere. I'd like to use what I can find around the house if I can since I'm a broke college student. XD

~Maggot

SC Geckos

Not to be a smartass, but do I really need grout? I mean, can I not just paint the styrofoam?

~Maggot

If you don't want to grout it that's fine. It just will not be as durable and the paint can chip off. You could also cover the foam in silicone and roll it in coco fiber instead of painting, grouting, or sealing. This works well too.

Embrace Calamity

If you don't want to grout it that's fine. It just will not be as durable and the paint can chip off. You could also cover the foam in silicone and roll it in coco fiber instead of painting, grouting, or sealing. This works well too.
Would the Great Stuff be able to serve as a replacement for the grout? If I did that, would I need to seal it before or after painting? And would clear aquarium sealant work?

~Maggot

SC Geckos

Would the Great Stuff be able to serve as a replacement for the grout? If I did that, would I need to seal it before or after painting? And would clear aquarium sealant work?

~Maggot

I have tried the Great Stuff foam and the issue I had was when it drys,it has a very smooth surface. I had a hard time getting paint or grout to stick to it without flaking off. It also shrinks quite a bit as it drys. As far as the silicone, I have used it dozens of times w/cocofiber on regular styrofoam to make backgrounds and hides for animals and it works great. I never tried the silicone with Great Stuff because I scraped those projects.

Embrace Calamity

I have tried the Great Stuff foam and the issue I had was when it drys,it has a very smooth surface. I had a hard time getting paint or grout to stick to it without flaking off. It also shrinks quite a bit as it drys. As far as the silicone, I have used it dozens of times w/cocofiber on regular styrofoam to make backgrounds and hides for animals and it works great. I never tried the silicone with Great Stuff because I scraped those projects.
I'll look around to see if I have grout, but I'm not sure I do. Can I paint the sealant if I go the styrofoam + sealant route?

~Maggot

DrCarrotTail

As far as the silicone, I have used it dozens of times w/cocofiber on regular styrofoam to make backgrounds and hides for animals and it works great.

Brad - do you have a specific brand of kind you've used? I've been hunting for something that's safe for geckos and Tarantulas that didn't empty my bank account...haha -- Thanks!

SC Geckos

Brad - do you have a specific brand of kind you've used? I've been hunting for something that's safe for geckos and Tarantulas that didn't empty my bank account...haha -- Thanks!

There a lot of controversy out there regarding the type of silicone to use. Most websites say to ONLY use "aquarium silicone sealant." What a lot of people don't know is that "aquarium sealant" is exactly the same as regular household silicone, without the anti-mildew chemicals added to it. Silicone marketed for aquarium use is a lot more expensive. Anti-mildew chemicals slowly release toxins over time. These are toxic to fresh and salt water fish, and it's most likely not good for our reptiles and tarantulas. There are a few brands of silicone that do not include the anti-mildew chemicals. They are: GE Door & Window clear silicone (which I chose to use because I could find it at Lowes), Dow-Corning "DAP", or anything that says 100% clear silicone. Just make sure that whatever silicone you decide to use - read the label. Make sure it doesn't say that it prevents mold and mildew. And don't be alarmed if there is a disclaimer on the tube that says its not for aquarium use. They have to say that so they won't be held liable if your aquarium breaks or doesn't seal properly. And it will make your job so much easier if you get the kind of tube that you can put in a caulking gun. Hope this helps Lisa.

Embrace Calamity

There a lot of controversy out there regarding the type of silicone to use. Most websites say to ONLY use "aquarium silicone sealant." What a lot of people don't know is that "aquarium sealant" is exactly the same as regular household silicone, without the anti-mildew chemicals added to it. Silicone marketed for aquarium use is a lot more expensive. Anti-mildew chemicals slowly release toxins over time. These are toxic to fresh and salt water fish, and it's most likely not good for our reptiles and tarantulas. There are a few brands of silicone that do not include the anti-mildew chemicals. They are: GE Door & Window clear silicone (which I chose to use because I could find it at Lowes), Dow-Corning "DAP", or anything that says 100% clear silicone. Just make sure that whatever silicone you decide to use - read the label. Make sure it doesn't say that it prevents mold and mildew. And don't be alarmed if there is a disclaimer on the tube that says its not for aquarium use. They have to say that so they won't be held liable if your aquarium breaks or doesn't seal properly. And it will make your job so much easier if you get the kind of tube that you can put in a caulking gun. Hope this helps Lisa.
When I was looking around for sealant, I thought about buying the 100% silicone sealant, but I didn't want to take any chances. It was a pain though because I had to order the aquarium sealant online, as opposed to the other stuff which I could have found anywhere.

~Maggot

DrCarrotTail

Thanks Brad - that information does help. It's right in line with what I was reading but there seems to be some controversy with the GE door and window 2 vs 1 and that made me think there was more to it. I'm headed to visit my parents next week and they have a container store near them so planning to use some of this advice as soon as I have fun containers! I'm planning to play around and see if I can make some safe and attractive Little homes for slings and possibly vend some at a local reptile expo once I have enough bitty geckos to warrant renting a table :)

Embrace Calamity

Thanks Brad - that information does help. It's right in line with what I was reading but there seems to be some controversy with the GE door and window 2 vs 1 and that made me think there was more to it. I'm headed to visit my parents next week and they have a container store near them so planning to use some of this advice as soon as I have fun containers! I'm planning to play around and see if I can make some safe and attractive Little homes for slings and possibly vend some at a local reptile expo once I have enough bitty geckos to warrant renting a table :)
That would be cool. :D

Anyway, I found a paint that's supposed to look like rock (which it doesn't really, but it's a bit grainy, so I'm sure they'll be able to grip it just fine) and it stuck well to the Styrofoam. Only question is, do I need to coat it with aquarium sealant or is it fine if I just let it cure for 72 hours?

~Maggot

Visit our friends