House Mates

Coils

Gecko Geek
Just wondering (don't have a fat tail myself) but can you house a leo and a fat tail together if they are so similar? Oooor do they not get along very well or something?

jakemyster44

They come from different areas on the globe, and have different needs for their environment. Humidity being the main difference. In short, no, you should not ever keep leopard geckos and fat tailed geckos together.

Coils

Gecko Geek
They come from different areas on the globe, and have different needs for their environment. Humidity being the main difference. In short, no, you should not ever keep leopard geckos and fat tailed geckos together.

Alright, was just wondering if anyone can or does do it since they are slightly similar. Didn't plan on it or anything.

Has anyone ever bred them together? Is -that- even possible??

HepCatMoe

Escaped A.I.
many people have tried. it is not possible. plus, it is usually pretty bad for the geckos to be kept together.

JordanAng420

About the breeding, I heard somewhere (it might have been here, I forgot) that someone actually DID get fertile eggs from an AFT x leopard gecko cross, and managed to hatch them, but the hatchlings only lived for a few hours then passed away. I'd be curious to see what they looked like.

Coils

Gecko Geek
About the breeding, I heard somewhere (it might have been here, I forgot) that someone actually DID get fertile eggs from an AFT x leopard gecko cross, and managed to hatch them, but the hatchlings only lived for a few hours then passed away. I'd be curious to see what they looked like.

Aww, that's sad. Too bad they didn't make it. It would be interesting if it could be done and I also wish I could have seen those babies if someone actually did hatch them out.

I honestly would have guessed crossing them wouldn't have been that difficult, but you learn something new everyday. :) Aren't fat tails just hard to breed in general?

Wolfyhound

I think leos and AFT look very similiar also. But when you check into the housing details, they have slightly different needs, so should not be in the same cage.

It's amazing that nature made two lizards so alike, so far apart!

Coils

Gecko Geek
I think leos and AFT look very similiar also. But when you check into the housing details, they have slightly different needs, so should not be in the same cage.

It's amazing that nature made two lizards so alike, so far apart!

Lol yea, thats what I was pretty much saying. I dont know much about FT needs and just wondered if anyone housed them since to me...they LOOK so similar.

HepCatMoe

Escaped A.I.
well, they look similar because they are descended from a common ancestor. however, since they are so far apart that common ancestor lived a long long time ago.

evolution baby!!

B

BioWorkZ

Unfortunately I see AFTs housed with Leos all the time at petshops. ::shrugs:: BTW, both the AFTs and Leos don't look happy or healthy when I checked them out.

Coils

Gecko Geek
Unfortunately I see AFTs housed with Leos all the time at petshops. ::shrugs:: BTW, both the AFTs and Leos don't look happy or healthy when I checked them out.

I dont ever see to much of ANYHING that's ever happy or healthy at the pet stores. >_< It's so depressing...I went there YESTERDAY and all the geckos are near death...no fat on their tails at ALL. Practically already just skeletons laying around. I can't stand it!

Visit our friends