Housing different species together?

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I often scan craigslist for deals on pet supplies, and I keep seeing a post for 2 geckos, 1 leo and 1 fat-tailed, that are housed together and "must stay together." I've always heard that you should keep different reptile species separate. I've never kept either type of gecko, so I don't know if they do or don't require different care, but this just seems weird to me. Has anyone else heard of doing this? Do different species of geckos always need to be separated even if they have the same basic care requirements (housing, temps, food, etc)?

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I've heard of breeders trying to hybridize leos and AFTs, but it has a poor success rate. The species are very closely related. I imagine they'd get along well enough if raised together. Their requirements are very similar.

Taiga

3 Year Member
I've heard of breeders trying to hybridize leos and AFTs, but it has a poor success rate. The species are very closely related. I imagine they'd get along well enough if raised together. Their requirements are very similar.

I do not think that leos and fats would be able to be housed happily together, as AFTs need much more humidity than leos, and leos need more heat than fats. I think that if it was tried, you would need a massive tank over 60 gallons to create two separate habitats, and even then if one crossed over (as they will) it could leave to health problems from skin irritations to ingestion of the substrate. I think you would really have to know what you are doing to house different species together. People often have leos and fats because they think "Oh they look the same, so they will be happy together!" reptiles usually like to live alone anyways ;)

Even frogs are not a good idea, as they are cannibals and will eat smaller species if not looked after. I am usually against housing species unless you have large tanks 60-120gallons or up and created to match the habitat perfectly. It is just my opinion of course, and I have seen some spectacular setups with both fish (think about community fish tanks) and reptiles.

jfreemo75

3 Year Member
I personally wouldn't house different geckos together, but I've heard of some that have had no problems. We have a fat tail and many leos, and we house them exactly the same, so I guess as long as they got along, they could be together. I would never try to breed them though, so just 2 females, if I were ever to do it.
At one of the shows I was vending at this month, I was talking to someone there, and they said that they had an anole, a leo and a crested together. I didn't say it, but I was thinking they were crazy! Those 3 types of lizards are way too different to put together, especially the crested. I think that if someone doesn't have the money or the sense to be able to have each type by themselves, then they shouldn't have more than one gecko!
Just my 2 cents! :D

Rylee

3 Year Member
My friend used to have a AFT and a LG and they were housed together without a problem. Like Taiga said, AFT's need more humidity; placing a humid hide in the tank might work.

Geckomaster743

Honestly I'm not sure about the whole mixing thing. Putting Different species can end up with what happens when you put 2 Male Gecko's together. A fight. Not to mention other gecko's will bully or be aggressive towards the other. And like every one else is saying Humidity and Temp are different which can get ether of the gecko's sick if the requirements aren't met.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Hi Malea and Welcome to GeckoTalk!
Thanks for joining the conversation. Hopefully you can introduce yourself and your gecko(s)!

Eve Saint

I have a Long Tail Lizard and a Leopard Gecko. The LOng Tail Lizard is known to only hang above ground in leaves, so I have a 20 gallon that I mist the leaves and mist more on his side. They both have no problems. Both are healthy with no skin problems and I had this set up about one year.

Visit our friends