housing

Jordan1

If i got a 20 gallon tank and i put a glass divider in the middle would that = 10 gallon on both sides and if the geckos show affection to each other from both sides of the divider could i remove the divider without worrying about anything?

Geckomaster743

If i got a 20 gallon tank and i put a glass divider in the middle would that = 10 gallon on both sides and if the geckos show affection to each other from both sides of the divider could i remove the divider without worrying about anything?
If its 2 Males on each Side i would say " Buy 2 New Cages because the Males can cause some Serious Problems to Each other even through visual contact. My Gecko had some sort of Heart attack just by being near the Scent of another male " If its a Male and Female it would probably be ok just be observant in the next few days.

Jordan1

ok thanks, i have a female and im might get a male so if i put my female on one side and my male on the other and put a divider in the middle of the tank and they seem to like each other could i remove the divider or will it cause problems like fighting or something like that cause i might breed leo's and i just wanted a little advice on this and thanks for the help

Geckomaster743

If you want to Breed DO NOT STORE THEM TOGETHER. Sorry for the Caps but thats Serious. Leo's that live together won't breed, The male will ending up bothering the Female and Bullying her.... Here are the Storing Options.

A Colony: 1 Male - 2 Females+ ( Store more then 1 Female, No one will breed but you won't see too much Bullying )
Separate: Male and Females are all In individual tanks.
Joint Female: Females Share a Cage ( Watch out for Slight Bullying they should get along fine )
Breeding Storage: 1 Male and Female are In Separate Cages Alone, When Reached the Safe weight 50G and are able to breed place them in the Breeding area you have Set up ( Laybox - Hides - Waterbowl Etc ) They may breed right in front of you because the male hasn't seen this female before and he may be interested but they may need more time, I think thats how it normally works.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I have a couple males who live year-round with the girls, and a couple males who must be kept apart because all they want is "nooky", and they pester the girls. But they all breed just fine. And since the male is only needed once to fertilize eggs for the whole season, it really depends on the individual animals and what YOU want to do.

But remember that scent marking is more important to leos than sight. Just because they can see each other doesn't mean they won't be territorial when the divider is removed.

Jordan1

ok thanks i decided im going to keep them in seperate tanks when i get the other one and then ill buy a 20 gallon for them

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Looks like you got some good advice here. I'm glad you were able to get some good information from the GeckoTalk community :):)

Visit our friends