How difficult is it to get into breeding Cresteds?

aorsak

TechnicolorGeckos
I don't even own one and probably won't for another 6 months to a year but, I am breeding leos this year. If everything goes well I thought I could get another leopard or a pair of cresteds next year or something. I do want to at least buy a crested (they're just too cute) and keep it as a pet at least :3 How difficult is it to breed them though? If I ever wanted to buy another to breed them would it be hard? They seam to be even easier than leopard geckos from what I've read but that's not that much yet.

JessJohnson87

It's no more difficult than breeding leopards, you incubate at room temperature instead of at higher heat than what you do for leopards. It can sometimes take longer to breed them because females should be above 35 grams before attempting to mate them so buying ready to breed females and males would be best if you do not want to wait a year or more.

Couple of good links.
JB's Crested Gecko Info
Crested Gecko Breeding: How-To Tips | moonvalleyreptiles.com

aorsak

TechnicolorGeckos
Ah alright. That's a lot lower of a breeding weight for cresteds than leos. Didn't realize they weighed that much less o.o It's just grams but I've never held one before.

JessJohnson87

I have either a sub-adult to an adult male that weighs 30 grams and my leopard gecko weighs about 80 grams. I have seen some females get to be as big as 70 grams during breeding season. They all grow at different rates, some slower than others.

yoshi'smom

OUROBOROS EXOTICS
I would make the recommendation that you purchase animals with lineage if you decide to breed. That way you can know what the parent's are as well as health.
Otherwise, breeding is simple but requires a big heart and lots of attention to detail. But one should not simply breed because it is easy. You should breed because of a passion for the animals.

Visit our friends