How do I get my mom to allow a snake in the house?

leoguy1

Proud to be a Texan
Well, I've been wanting a ball python for a while now, but there's one obstical in my way --- Mom. She's been scared of snakes since she was little. My uncle owned a huge boa named Butch would always scare the heck out of her. I keep telling her the difference between the size of a ball python and a boa, but she keeps saying no. How can I get her to say yes?:main_huh:

DragonBeards

Obsessed by reptiles...
Simple answer? You can't. I've lived with the same problem my entire growing up years. Even taking my mom to the reptile store in the past and showing her all the smaller, more docile snakes doesn't work. The only snake she moderately tolerates are garter snakes, and only when those are outside. My advice? (please don't take this the wrong way) Stop asking. Respect your mother's fear and let her be (I've had to learn to do this). Think of it this way: if you were scared of something, would you want it residing in the house you lived in?

Have patience and wait for when you move out and are able to get a snake of your own. I know the wait can seem like forever, but be happy with what your mother has allowed you to keep. She could have barred all reptiles from the house period. And besides, think how much more grateful you'll be for that ball python when you finally own it. I know the wait can seem like forever (I'm still waiting), but it will be worth it in the end, promise :)

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
My husband is terrified of snakes. It took me 5 years to get him to allow me my first Green Tree Python, and it was him helping me at the reptile shows and being exposed to them that changed his way of thinking. The first time I fed my snake, my husband was absolutely fascinated, as I explained what was going on in the process. A year later, he actually bought me my second snake for my birthday.

The best way for people who have phobias to get past them is education and exposure. Get your facts and line up all your ducks so your mom will feel confident that you are perfectly able to deal with keeping a snake, and that a Ball Python could never possibly constrict and try to eat anything it can't swallow. Dispel myths about snakes with facts.. like, "Did you know that more people are bitten and injured by dogs and horses than any other animal?" Or, "Did you realize that we live within 12 inches of spiders at all times, and there are less than 15% of snakes that are venomous?"

It took me 5 years, but now I have a lovely collection of Pythons... none of which pose any danger or threat to our lives.

notacoshells

I have the same problem. tried everything even a power point. I almost got one because my mom made a deal with me but i had to wear calvin clien boxers in china town for 3 hours with only that on. it was to bad she backed out on the deal because i would have done that. Now i'm just waiting to move out.

fl_orchidslave

Being as you're very young, it is natural for a parent to be concerned that they would be involved n the care of their child's pet. Since your mother has a tremendous fear of snakes, no doubt that she wouldn't ever take care of your snake. What if veterinary care was needed? A lot of parents won't allow it even if they finally let their child have any kind of reptile. A number of the kids on this forum have this issue. You have some years before you'll be old enough to be out on your own, so in the meantime, there are places you can enjoy other people's snakes without the responsibility of caring for one all the time. Go to reptile shows (mom might like cute little lizards or frogs), join a herp society and ask her to go with you to monthly meetings (education), hang out in locally owned pet shops (they might let you help with some cage maintenance). Don't pester your mom about getting a snake after she has already told you no. It doesn't help :)

Visit our friends