how do i...?

S

sportbike_rob

get my gecko used to my presence? every time i even step within ten feet of his enclosure he makes way to one of his hides, if im lying in there, he will peek out the doorway every so often to check if im there, and he wont come out till i leave the room again....any suggestions on how to get him to come out while i am in the room? any suggestions on this? im confused becasue he came from a display case in a petshop, and i'd think he'd be used to people walking by the enclosures:main_huh:

gecko_man2

he is probably used to little kids and ignorant adults tapping on the enclosure. Try and hand feed him for a while or tip his bowl so he can see the food you just put in for him. All of my geckos are the opposite of yours. Soon as I walk in the room they all come out to see if I am gonna take them out or feed them or something. It will take time just be patient. And handle him frequently.

S

sportbike_rob

i been handleing him every other day, i dont want to handle him too much, cuz i dont want him to get stressed

Stitch

Just continue to do what you have doing( handling every other day), it just takes time. Give him about 1-2 months of this type of routine. If he doesn't chagne by then, then you may have to take a different approach.

S

sportbike_rob

will do. had him out for a little last night but he seemed very nearvous. so i put him back very quick. i want him to get used to me, however i dont want him to get stressed.

Stitch

On the days that you are not handling him you can put your hand in the cage and just sit there for about 5 minutes. This should help him get used to your scent and the sight of your hand. Remember to move slowly when attempting to pick him up this looks less threatening then trying to grab him.

Visit our friends