How has the recession hit the reptile markets?

Dactylusaddict

From what Ive seen on the classifieds Ive hit online (only ones Ive found so far are Kingsnake and fauna, other suggestions appreciated), it looks like things are way slower these days than when the crestie craze was in full swing about 8 or 9 years ago. I seem to remember finding better variety in the advertisements in the backs of magazines back then, than I do online nowadays. Maybe thats a case of rose colored glasses though. I can see that things are really a buyers market at the moment (too bad I dont have much money).

Ive noticed lots of business types use this site, hows the recession hit the reptile trade? Are things looking to be on the upswing as yet?

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
First of all, I don't think people have the disposable income they used to, and if they they aren't spending it. The market for leopard geckos is saturated, making it difficult to move them without dropping prices below what the animals are worth. This actually hurts the market. Like anything else, it's supply and demand. When the supply goes up, the demand goes down. The answer is for breeders to produce less, not lower prices. When there is more demand for geckos and less supply, the market will start to recover.

hdavidf309

Friendly herp enthusiast
I agree totally with what "golden gate geckos" has said (sorry...you probably have a name! Haha). I am not a very mainstream breeder/seller by any means, but in my reptile escapades I have sold a good amount. With the economy being the way it is and people not being able to even find a job, much less have disposable income....breeders have definately taken a hit. I have always been one to say that when it comes to herps it is quality not quanity and try and keep my collection as limited as possible with nice specimens being produced, but it has been hard lately and I have been MORE overwhelmed with hatchlings that ever before. Not only that but I have had to take a couple pricing "hits" just to sell what I have when (like G. Geckos said) they are worth well over asking price. Its just hard times. Take his and my advise (REAPEAT!)...less breeding will pay off because it will cause a higher demand. Thats my standpoint.

Dactylusaddict

Thats one thing Ive noticed is tons of leopards, fatties and cresties are around these days, but judging from alot of the ads not much is moving right now, but more and more ads every day. Its unfortunate so many times Ill see the prices drop so drastically so fast as well, as GG said, thats terrible for any market.

The unemployment rate is supposed to be down, and Im in banking/mortgage so I can attest to the housing market (at least in this area) beginning to show early signs of recovery, so hopefully things will start improving across the board.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
High School Economics/Business 101: When the market is saturated with a 'product' and prices are down, the answer is NOT producing more at a cheaper price. It is producing LESS until the glut stabilizes and the demand goes up. What part of this doesn't the majority of the gecko breeders understand? (shrugs)

Visit our friends