How important is it that i use an r-type bulb with a deep dome fixture?

Futureboundexe

So i got the Fluker’s black nightlight incandescent bulb for overhead heat as i know they dont really bask so i think one that gives off barely any light should be good, but all the fixtures i can buy for reptile heat bulbs say to use with an r-type bulb :( the one i have is the only one sold around here that gives off basically no light that i can afford. Am i risking a fire? Its just a different shaped bulb, the fixture says 100w max and the bulb is 75w. Heres a pic of the exact products. it should be okay right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Having read a bit just now about R-type and PAR-type bulbs (you can do that too), in my opinion (electrical engineers feel free to jump in and correct me) if the bulb will screw in to the fixture and if the wattage is at or below the maximum that the fixture will support, it should be fine. If it doesn't fit, go to the home improvement store and get a regular dome light which will be cheaper than getting it at a reptile store.

Aliza

Futureboundexe

Having read a bit just now about R-type and PAR-type bulbs (you can do that too), in my opinion (electrical engineers feel free to jump in and correct me) if the bulb will screw in to the fixture and if the wattage is at or below the maximum that the fixture will support, it should be fine. If it doesn't fit, go to the home improvement store and get a regular dome light which will be cheaper than getting it at a reptile store.

Aliza
I checked every hardware store nearby none of them had a dome light fixture :( the bulb fits tho so ill keep the one i have

Yvonne G

Administrator
Staff member
I buy my fixtures online. I don't care for the deep dome fixtures as they seem to keep too much heat inside the dome. Try t find a farm/feed store either in town or online. I buy mine from tractorsupply.com. I get the 10" brooder fixture with a ceramic base.

Futureboundexe

I buy my fixtures online. I don't care for the deep dome fixtures as they seem to keep too much heat inside the dome. Try t find a farm/feed store either in town or online. I buy mine from tractorsupply.com. I get the 10" brooder fixture with a ceramic base.
All the highways around my town are flooded or closed due to rock slides, buying anything online isnt an option at the moment and probably not until the end of january, thanks for the idea tho

Visit our friends