How Long Before Juveniles Old Enough To Move?

jbuckets

I'm breeding my AFTs for fun, but only have the space to keep two juveniles at at time. I've heard that AFT babies are especially succeptable to stress, but at the same time I'd like to sell/give away my geckos as soon as possible, so that I have the chance to incubate a few more eggs before the breeding season ends.

How old should AFTs be before being moved so that there isn't as high a risk of them dying/dropping tails, etc. due to stress?

Thanks a lot for your help!

jbuckets

Thanks a lot! Do you know how long it usually takes for them to reach that weight? And would you charge the same price for a 15 g juvie as you would a full grown adult? just curious..

Again, thanks for the advice.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Fat Tails are slow growers and it can take them a few months to reach 15 grams. Adults sell for more because or their potential to breed sooner.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I generally sell leopard geckos at 15 grams, but I find that AFT's, who grow more slowly and don't generally get as heavy as leos, are ready to go at around 10 grams. I don't usually ship them, though.

Aliza

jbuckets

I've heard that juveniles are particularly affected by stress than can easily cause dropping tails or worse, so I wanted to make sure they were old enough to move. I dont plan on shipping them anywhere just giving/selling them locally...so it sounds like at 5-10 grams I can do that?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
If you are selling/giving them away locally you can do it the second they hatch... though I would HIGHLY recommend you to wait until they are feeding regularly... 2-4 weeks after they hatch.

Visit our friends