How many follow the between the eyes rule???

ang3l3s

Remember when u first got your gecko and everyone preached about appropriate size which is anything that fits between the eyes, well it's been a while now.... do u still follow that rule???

I ask because awhile back i accidentally fed a large dubia to my leo, i freaked and my girlfriend told me to relax, she said "do u think she would have passed that up in the wild". No impaction or other signs of distress or illness and i have been doing it ever since with my other leos.

Srt14292

Est; 1992
I don't use the eye width, but a good bit of common sence is needed I would have thought, I don't follow it strictly but I wouldn't go feeding supers to a 2 week old hatchling. I think use your own judgement.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I don't. That bit of nonsense is also spouted frequently in the tree frog world, but why would these animals have such large mouths if they were unable to eat large bugs? I have never had an issue related to feeder size in all my years of frog keeping, and don't expect that I will with geckos either.

Khrysty

I never use that rule. I'll feed them whatever I have on hand, as large a prey as they'll take. That being said, like others, I won't feed a full grown super or dubia to a hatchling as its first meal

Latlaw

Glad to read this thread. I'd like to try a super with my girls 5 mos old but I've been paranoid they'd choke or something. Silly when you think of it I guess.

Bellalee

If my smaller adult males and females can put down a male dubia wings and all I have no doubt a smaller one could do a super worm, I think I started supers when they were about 25 g.

Friedbread

I think this is a good rule for hatchlings or exceptionally tiny or weak leos. Adults obviously have a stronger jaw that can handle larger insects.

Redleg

I only watch the size of crickets/mealworms/roaches when I feed the younger leos.

For the adults, all bets are off. They will just about eat anything, again......in the wild, I don't think they will pass up on an adult sized dubia :p right now, they can't get enough of it :main_laugh:

THE WHISPERER

Glad to read this thread. I'd like to try a super with my girls 5 mos old but I've been paranoid they'd choke or something. Silly when you think of it I guess.

your gecko is definatly ready for supers. Mine get smaller sized supers within a few months of hatching. :main_thumbsup:

Riyo

Pet Human
Nope. Most of mine will eat adult male dubia with no issue at all. (Wings and all!).

I've also fed large super worms to juvies with no problems.

I think we often underestimate our animals ;)

sammer021486

I use to follow that guide line, but don't any more.

I begin feeding supers to my 2 month old hatchlings, but feed all my geckos 1/2"-3/4" crickets, simply because of the quantity I order, the medium sized crickets live longer than the fullgrown crickets do. I start all my hatchlings on mealworms, right from when they are ready to eat on a small souffle lid. I push the top down to create a small bowl, and because the lids are cheap and made of clear plastic the hatchlings can see the worms and get a clean bowl each week or earlier if it needs to be replaced.

jermh1

I guess I can start throwing in some of my 300+ adult male dubia's if no one has had a problem, I used to do just the fresh white ones, but I only actually catch a few a week. as for crix after about 20-25g I feed them full grown ones.

Visit our friends