How much longer

KashMoneyExotics

I have two eggs that are due to hatch any day. The eggs were laid May 4. Today they are 56 days old. They are incubating at 81-83 degrees after the first three weeks of incubation I slowly raised the temperature to 84-86 degrees. For those of you've no know me from my previous thread the egg that I thought wasn't good is starting to dent in which is a good sign. The other egg that began denoting in over a week ago looks like it went bad but still keeping it until I know for sure

e2a6usy4.jpg
9y4y6uzu.jpg

tb144050

They both look very very dark. If you see mold, gently use a wet qtip to wipe away the mold, ....but don't give up until they are completely molded and collapsed.

My eggs that I incubate at 81-83 the WHOLE time, .......56-61 days.
eggs incubated at 81-83.....then later bumped up to 84-86.........50-54 days.

tb144050

So they should've hatched by now? And do they look like they went bad?

Even eggs that "look bad" can surprise you with a baby one day. :) Just let them incubate and wipe away mold if it starts to mold. Don't give up until the egg completely collapses and is ooozing the smelly stuff..

Temperature increases normally help to speed up the egg-development, but each egg is different. Sometimes even clutchmates will hatch over a full-week apart. If the baby isn't ready (developed), it won't come out yet. And I have not begun to study the effect of "#number of days the mother carried that clutch"....

Today is Day 56 for you....so you are just today beginning to reach the PRIMETIME for 81-83'ish temperatures. Just be ready to settle in for possibly another week or more. Try to check them twice/day without opening the incubator (because it will fluctuate your temps).

Most importantly, dooooooonnnnnntttt cut open the egg to save the baby. They don't break their egg open until they are almost finished absorbing they abdominal contents. And then they don't come all the way out until they spend about 20minutes or more doing the "absorbing contents" thing... So if you "help" by "saving them", they are not developed enough and it will put their life at risk. :O

tb144050

Ohh,...I mentioned that you are just reaching the PRIMETIME for 81-83F incubation hatching....but I didn't specify: I know you bumped up the temp, but your egg might just take a little longer. The times I have posted are averages, but even the averages can't be narrowed down much more than a "5 day guess".

So when you turned up the temp, you probably did shorten the incubation from an "incredibly long incubation" to an "average incubation".

DrCarrotTail

They look like they may have gone bad to me but there's always a chance. I'd give them one more week but if they don't hatch by then I might call it quits. They should hatch by day 50 at the temps you've described but like TB said there is some variation.

DrCarrotTail

I always candle mine. If they are yellow inside I don't open them but if they are pink or red and the egg is obviously bad I do. I like to know what went wrong and keep a record of it so I know if a specific pair or gecko is having the same issues over and over with their eggs. That way I can make an informed decision whether to keep breeding them or not. If you decide to open them, I would recommend doing it outside though as the eggs can smell if they have gone bad and been rotting in your incubator for a while.

tb144050

If you ever have to open one, I would also suggest that you do it using 2 pair of tweezers.....(barely pinching the eggshell and pulling it in opposite directions to unwrap the contents)....and be sure that you are doing it in a sterile, prepped (moist) paper-towel tub. If there is a living gecko in there, it's belly probably hasn't absorbed everything and you do NOT want any stray dirt to be absorbed to the inside.

(^^^based on interesting internet articles/stories/forums that I have read)

KashMoneyExotics

If you ever have to open one, I would also suggest that you do it using 2 pair of tweezers.....(barely pinching the eggshell and pulling it in opposite directions to unwrap the contents)....and be sure that you are doing it in a sterile, prepped (moist) paper-towel tub. If there is a living gecko in there, it's belly probably hasn't absorbed everything and you do NOT want any stray dirt to be absorbed to the inside.

(^^^based on interesting internet articles/stories/forums that I have read)
Here are the eggs in question I candeled them abd are both very red inside, which makes me believe that their still fertile
demamysu.jpg
e5e2abuh.jpg

DrCarrotTail

If you think there's a chance they are good I would keep incubating them. That said, if the baby started to develop the egg will candle red whether viable or not. Fingers crossed for you and them!

Kjenkins

The egg that I just lost still candled red. I did investigate the embryo started to form but died sometime after. It didn't even look like a gecko more like a ball of mush. I hope the best for you tho.

Visit our friends