How Much Should An Adult Shed?

Jolenels

3 Year Member
Spike is about 3 years old. Within the last 18 months he has had a few fairly severe issues. One thing is he lost his sight due to an eye infection. We managed to save partial sight in one eye through medication but the other eye he is totally blind.

Before eye loss he shed probably once a month or so. Now we feed him with feeding tongs. I was feeding him crickets and meal worms but the crickets kept escaping the keeper. So we went to just mealworms. And then Repashy came out with that insectivore food. He ate it, but with lack luster and not near as much as he would real insects. He was on it for about two to three months. Then I went back to meal worms.

He hasn't shed the whole time he was on the Repashy. He lost a lot of weight when he went blind because he couldn't hunt and it took us some time to work out the feeding with tongs as he would lunge repeatedly at nothing and then give up. We got his weight back on and he is a healthy size. He dropped a bit when he went to the Repashy but not a dangerous amount.

He is our only gecko so I'm not an expert at all. How often should he shed as an adult? It went from once every four to six weeks to not at all for somewhere in between the eight to twelve week mark. He has heat, a dry hide, a wet hide, ample space, fresh water and he feeds fantastically now that we are back on worms. No access to roaches or anything like that for insects. Just crickets, meal worms and wax worms (which he hasn't had since he went blind but we used to use them as a rare treat).

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I would guess he should shed about monthly. It's possible he's shedding at night when you don't notice. Some people have said their gecko hasn't ever shed, but they've probably missed it. If he's otherwise healthy (for him) I wouldn't worry about it.

Aliza

Visit our friends