How Often to Change the Calcium?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Eros has had the same votif holder of calcium in his tank for the last 2 weeks. I know he uses it 'cause I see his lil nose prints in there (foot prints sometimes too :) ) so my question is how long do y'all leave the same calcium in the dish before changing it out for fresh even if it's not all gone?

UnicornSpirit

Graphic Designer
If one of mine poops in the dish I'll have to change it out and disinfect immediately. Otherwise, I change it as needed (maybe about once every 2 months). Sometimes a little bit of wheat bran falls into it from when I drop in mealworms but it's not much and takes a while to build up. If something really looks or smells funky then by all means change it out.

Calcium can get expensive, especially if you have lots of leos, so I wouldn't change it weekly. Of course, if they're pooping in it or if it's somehow getting wet where it is I would move it accordingly. You don't have to use tons, I keep about a teaspoon or two in each dish.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Thanks. He doesn't poo in it. he uses his litter box without fail. I bang it around and loosen it up every couple days so not wet either. Haven't noticed any funky smell so I guess we're good :) We also put about half a tablespoon in at a time.

Visit our friends