How Skinny can you get?

maverickgrl79

So got a call today from a local Petco, someone brought in a "thin" baby Leo, and wanted me to take it and see if I could get it to eat. Went it opened the box and gasped for air,got this little one home, warm and will attempt to feed in a few hours, any suggestions?
IMG_20130520_110834.jpg

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Poor little guy :( Best of luck renourishing him and getting him healthy again! Kudos for taking him in

Caleb C

Some people would suggest feeding it fatty foods, such as wax worms or something, but I think that you should just slowly and steadily feed it. Being this tiny, i'm guessing it was bought from the petco, and the owner wasn't too responsible and didn't care for it.
I don't think you should feed it over 5 tiny mealworms, and when I say tiny, it should be tiny! The body is too small and probably won't be able to handle/digest anything big. Tiny crickets might be easier to find, but will be harder to catch. You might have to pull off the legs so he/she can eat. Steadily build up it's fat/muscle, don't try to make it fatten up right away, just slowly feed it a normal diet.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Please be sure to keep it far away from your other geckos, feed it last and wash your hands well after you handle it in case it looks like that because of a disease (like crypto).

Aliza

maverickgrl79

OK UPDATE time; so the little one is doing well, he is not eating solids yet but i have been feeding it 3 times a day a bug shake with calcium and warm pedialyte and a syringe. i just put a drop on his lips and he licks it off then he licks it continuously off the end of the syringe til he is full. currently he is taking about .5cc a feeding and has pooped once. he is also much more active.

Geckomaster743

Im sorry I didn't hear about this post, I really love what you're doing for this little guy. People who do this just frustrate me some times. I really wish there was a way that you could make sure who ever you were selling the animal too was responsible, and caring. If only there were laws to confiscate pets from people who don't care before its too late. This guy is really lucky to be with a person like you. Really proud of you maverick :)

maverickgrl79

Im sorry I didn't hear about this post, I really love what you're doing for this little guy. People who do this just frustrate me some times. I really wish there was a way that you could make sure who ever you were selling the animal too was responsible, and caring. If only there were laws to confiscate pets from people who don't care before its too late. This guy is really lucky to be with a person like you. Really proud of you maverick :)
Thanks! I just took these pics for you guys during feeding, i am trying to see if i can get him to eat from the soy sauce dish since that is what his calcium and worms will be in. shows how tiny he really is. Cute little bugger!!! IMG_20130523_182200.jpg IMG_20130523_182317.jpg

maverickgrl79

He's so cute :D Do you plan on keeping him after he's good, and healthy? Glad to hear he's starting to improve.

I never plan on keeping them but any animal that comes to me as a foster has a forever home with me unless the right person comes along. the only time i plan on keeping them is if they are not adoptable. like disabled, geriatric, or just down right nasty. or in the case of my wild child Penny it is just too much stress for her to move around. it is all what is best for the critters! BTW pretty sure we are gonna name the little one Hedwig since we have no idea if its male or female.:D
Ohhh and weighed the baby today and he has gained .5 of a gram! now a whopping 1.5 g!

Visit our friends