How to encourage Leo's use of humid hide?

maniacmama

Just got a Leopard gecko from a friend last week. He's had sand and a toilet paper roll as the only things in his cage for years. I got him a humid hide and he hasn't gone near it! He even shed and didn't use it. Is there a way to encourage him to use it. Has he just not "needed" it and will eventually use it? Thanks for any advice. Trying to learn how to best care for him!

maniacmama

Great! One more question, for now... How long do you give your gecko to complete their shed? Started yesterday morning. Still has some on 3 feet and between the eyes. Planning to do the bath later today. Should I manually assist with the head skin as well as feet if the bath doesn't work? Thanks again!

kayla.h

When we were new to the leos, we actively gave them baths and pulled the skin off for them. Since switching to coconut shavings in the moist hide, they have had no problems shedding on their own.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Second the notion of coconut husk bedding and humid hide to help with shedding!

maniacmama

An update: gave him a bath yesterday and was able to help with the skin on his head. When I put him back in his cage, I placed him inside his hide. Here's the picture I captured! Overall successful however I think I need to repeat the bath tomorrow since he still has skin on 2 toes. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404176744.888682.jpg

Visit our friends