How to feed a baby?

Alex G

I recently got a free baby crestie from a local. I bought Repashy CGD and set up a nice little tank for it, but I've yet to see it eat from it's dish. Once a day (I know, I know, I shouldn't be bothering it this much, but I'm worried and I always do a bit of a 'helicopter mom' thing with new arrivals) I dip my finger in CGD and touch its nose, causing it to lick it off. AFAIK this is the only sustenance this gecko has had since arriving in my care, because I haven't found any poop in the cage. How can I get this little one to eat more?

Dron2124

Crested
how long has the gecko been in your care it takes about two weeks for them to settle in to there new home. It mite just not be eating because it is not settled in yet. What is the set up like, how big is the cage? this will help determine what it could possibly be.

Alex G

how long has the gecko been in your care it takes about two weeks for them to settle in to there new home. It mite just not be eating because it is not settled in yet. What is the set up like, how big is the cage? this will help determine what it could possibly be.
Since last tuesday. It is in a 12x12x18 until it gets bigger.

Dron2124

Crested
How much does the little one weight because that seems like a huge tank if its a baby. I kept my crested in a large kritter keeper till it reached 15 grams. With rhacs smaller is better when they are small so they can find there food.

Alex G

How much does the little one weight because that seems like a huge tank if its a baby. I kept my crested in a large kritter keeper till it reached 15 grams. With rhacs smaller is better when they are small so they can find there food.
I have no idea how many grams it weighs, I have been trying to resist the urge to pester it more than to dot CGD on it's nose nightly. It is pretty much a newborn, maybe two weeks old.

Dron2124

Crested
yea you need to go get a large critter keeper or a 6qt tub. that cage is way t big for it to find its food thats why you are not finding poop because teh gecko can probably not find its food.

Sidhe

Yep, like Dron said, your tank is probably too large for the baby. It's best to keep young cresteds (8 months or younger) in a smaller enclosure like a large-size Kritter Keeper. Sometimes the little ones have a hard time finding the food if the tank is too big.

Dron2124

Crested
if its not eating you do not want to throw in cricks because it will start to hold out for cricks instead of eating the cgd. Once your gecko starts eating the cgd regularly you can feed a few crickets once every two weeks or once a month, no more then that or they will start to hold out for the crickets not not eat the cgd. Which will cause mbd because they are not getting the right nutreins.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Everything Dron has said is appropriate. Below 15grams(approximately 4-6 months old) cresteds should be kept in small enclosures(kks are fine, I use plastic shoeboxes myself). Do not feed crickets. None of my babies ever see a bug till they are at least 15grams for the above mentioned reason. Offer food nightly and eventually you will see poop. Reptiles are based on instinct; they aren't going to starve themselves if conditions are right and appropriate food is available.

Alex G

I have moved it into a smaller container but I still haven't seen poop. This would be the second week that I know of this baby has gone without food. I'm nearly to the point of wanting to just go to the store and try to tempt it with some peach baby food, and then worry about converting it back to CGD later, just to put some food on its stomach. What should I do? The only times this baby has gotten food are when i can get it to lick some off dabs on its nose.

Dron2124

Crested
it could still be setting in it can take some time. Plus you just changed it to a smaller tank so it needs time to set in to that tank as well u mite wan to order some new flavors of cgd and try them but do not use baby food that is a very bad idea.

Adinar

Baby food has alot of sugar and alot of other bad things that generally aren't good for the little guy. The CGD is way better for it. My adults have been acting up when it comes to their CGD and it seems like they have gotten bored with the flavor. (I don't know if it's possible, but now whenever I stick in the mango flavor their bowls are eatten the other stuff is left untouched or knocked over.) Maybe try some mashed up banana? Just stay away from the baby food, go for the real thing. Maybe puree it and throw a bit of CGD diet in.

Visit our friends