How to make tiny pond for ur gecko?

Futureboundexe

I was wondering if making a little running water source would be beneficial for the humidity and cleanliness of the water for my leo?. I was thinking of using a little airstone sized sponge filter and making a ceramic custom bowl with an overhanging edge on one side to conceal the filter part. Heres a sketch of the plan.
Would this be safe? E1255300-9DDA-4DBF-B78B-1ACAF85FEFBD.jpeg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As long as it's about the dimension of a water bowl so there's no danger of the gecko falling in there and drowning, or of multiple crickets drowning in there it should be fine. Sounds intriguing. Please post a picture when you get it done.

Aliza

Futureboundexe

As long as it's about the dimension of a water bowl so there's no danger of the gecko falling in there and drowning, or of multiple crickets drowning in there it should be fine. Sounds intriguing. Please post a picture when you get it done.

Aliza
The walls would be 1.5 inches tall so about 1” of water, would a leo be able to drown in that? Im not gonna be one who leaves unattended crickets in the tank so im not worried about that but obviously dont wnat my gecko to drown

Herpin Man

This isn’t something I would ever do, except in a large enclosure. The risk is that it would create excessively wet conditions for the gecko.
If you proceed with this, it is imperative that the enclosure receives lots of air flow, to prevent excess wetness and humidity.

Futureboundexe

This isn’t something I would ever do, except in a large enclosure. The risk is that it would create excessively wet conditions for the gecko.
If you proceed with this, it is imperative that the enclosure receives lots of air flow, to prevent excess wetness and humidity.
Would u say 30 x 18 x 18 inches is large enough?

Herpin Man

No, not in my opinion.
If your set on doing this, my advice would be to set it up, and monitor the conditions closely, and be prepared to remove it if conditions become wet.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
In my opinion, if the pond it spewing a lot of water drops all over the cage, it could be a problem. If you can build a pond such that the water is just continually circulating without spewing (like those cat water bowls that just keep circulating the water) it should be no different than a water bowl.

Aliza

Futureboundexe

In my opinion, if the pond it spewing a lot of water drops all over the cage, it could be a problem. If you can build a pond such that the water is just continually circulating without spewing (like those cat water bowls that just keep circulating the water) it should be no different than a water bowl.

Aliza
With the ledge and a small sponge filter with low air flow there should be no spewing or droplets

Visit our friends