Human Heatpad??

One of our leos hatched yesterday. (quite unexpectedly I might add.) We don't have an UTH or a bulb for our heat lights, which is what we usually use for our new babies. We went to Petsmart, and they are out of everything (b/c apparently they suck.) We have more bulbs coming via USPS within the next few days, but in the meantime is it ok to use a human heatpad so that he may have some source of heat. He's in his own compartment in our gecko condominium, so we have it laying under him and turned on low. It's not making direct contact with it so it's not getting too hot and it's no a potential fire hazard. So, would that be okay for now or what?

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
If the heat pad is all you have then it is better than nothing. You should stop using bulbs for leopard geckos and get more forms of UTH. I would also try to see how hot the heat pad on low is getting....you may need to turn it up.

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
i ruined a nice wood dresser many years ago using one of those to heat a reptile cage; the scorched wood is a constant reminder of my carelessness. i would not recommend using one.

i would also not use any kind of a lamp on a leopard gecko's cage since they are nocturnal animals as you can tell by the elliptical pupils. light will stress the animals and many will go off feed due to the stress.

my advice is to get a proper undertank heater. your animals will benefit and you can rest assured that they have the proper temps available for proper digestion and metabolism.

good luck!

Visit our friends