Hurt Legs

J

Jessica_Lynn

My three month old leopard gecko was having a bad shed so I was helping her with a wet q-tip. She jumped and fell and hit the floor. I put her back in her cage and her back legs are both immobile. She's pulling herself around with her front legs while her back legs just drag. She is now in her warm hide. Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable? Do you think her legs are broken and will heal or is there something more serious going on? She's not acting too stressed.

robin

if her back legs are dragging behind her and she is pulling herself around it sounds like she is paralyzed and could have injured her spine. if that is the case. she may not recover or even make it for that matter.

J

Jessica_Lynn

So about fifteen minutes after all of that happened she stood up normally and took a few steps using all four legs. She's resting now, so maybe she was just stressed. Any advice?

Kilikina

Jessica is my roommate, so I've been around for this whole situation.. Hermoine (hurt leo) was doing just what jessica described: walking around with her front legs pulling as her back legs dragged behind. she went to her warm hide and layed down there. i was also worried about paralysis because her back legs/tail were completely immobile. a few minutes later, i noticed she seemed to be standing inside her hide, at least with one hind leg. then she took a few steps and we saw she was using all legs. she's walked around a bit since then, too. hopefully she was just stressed/in shock or something, because she seems much better now! of course we'll be leaving her alone for a while until it is certain she's okay.

robin

yeah just leave her alone and keep an eye on her. really that is all you can do right now

ajveachster

This happened with one of my geckos. After about 30 minutes she seemed to be ok. We did take her to the vet. They said since she was able to walk ok, and there was no inflamation that she would be ok without any meds. Just check for sensitiviy or swelling. If you see anything out of the ordinary in the next day or so, I'd suggest taking her to the vet. Otherwise, she will probably also be just fine. I feel for you. I know how scary it can be to think your gecko might be hurt badly.

Visit our friends