Husbandry

EmiliaT

Hi I am an new leopard gecko owner and I have 2 females living in the same tank because the breeder said it's ok to house females together but when looking online got a lot of mixed answers. So I am wondering if you can help me figure out a proper set up for them and if I should get another tank and actually house them separately. Another question is what type of heating should the have because at the moment they have both a heat-pad as well as a lightbulb over their tank. They also have a UVB bulb because they said that it good and it helps them know when its daytime. I just want their set up to be done correctly because its so hard to find a good care sheet for them. Hope you guys can help me and thanks in advance.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome! Some people feel strongly that leopard geckos should only be housed singly. They say that even casemates that have been together for a long time can turn on each other. Other people are more comfortable with co-housing. I do keep my geckos together in small groups, although with a decreasing gecko population, I'm moving them into singles when possible (not because it's wrong to keep them in groups, more because with an increasing number of empty cages I have the luxury). I've had geckos since 2004 and have rarely had problems doing this. The most important thing: 20 gallon long or bigger for 2 geckos; be vigilant for the following:
--1 gecko not eating/losing weight
--scratches or bites on one of the geckos
--2 gecko following the other around and sitting on her
These are signs of bullying which can sometimes look like "best buddies" (the sitting on)

As to your other questions: in general belly heat on one side with a heat pad is all that's needed. Some people do use lights either to see their geckos better or because the geckos may get benefit from UV light if they bask. They don't all bask (some are in their hides all "day") and if you're counting on the UV light, you'll need to change the bulb every 6 months and also make sure what you've bought is a full spectrum light. If the room they're in has enough light to distinguish between night and day, you don't really need another light, but it's OK if you have it.

Aliza

Visit our friends