I Don't Think You Can Afford That?

BGalloway

So I made the mistake of telling my best friend the first thing that came to mind when she told me about her new pet.

She has a cat already, spayed and declawed, 10 years old. She's been thinking about getting another cat for a while. Her and her boyfriend went out and got a kitten from a breeder...but they got 2, and it wasn't a breeder it was just someone whose cats had kittens, and they didn't even tell them what sex the kittens were.

So I got called in to tell if they were boys or girls. Yeah ok, it is pretty hard to tell on small kittens so that's totally cool (and I got some kitten playtime :D). And I find out that yes, we are planning on getting the girls spayed and declawed (I bite my tongue about the claw bit). But then I ask about stool samples, deworming, and of course shots, tell them about the first shots, how old they have to be for the rabies vaccine, and give them a very rough estimate per kitten.

This is when she dropped the bomb on me... "We don't have the money to do that now". She would have enough when she gets paid (check every other week, same deal as my workplace), and that's when I blurt out "If you can't even afford shots can you afford the kittens?" Her boyfriend also asked me what bred the kittens were. I say domestic longhair and he says he was hoping thy were main coon...I asked him if the parents were main coons and he said he "didn't know, and they were just long haired cats".

I feel bad about it but I think the point still stands. It was wrong of me to comment on her financial business, but she didn't even call her vet to make an appointment, or get their estimate for the visit. I just wish she'd thought ahead, free isn't free, especially with animals.

Visit our friends