I need a roach dish

Rhacodactyl

I've been looking for a way to keep dubia roaches contained so I can leave them in with my leos overnight. I got a smooth ceramic bowl at a pet store (it's actually a dog/cat water dish) with recurved sides that I thought would work great. Well, they climbed out of it. So I saw someone on here recommended glass ash trays from walmart. I got one thinking it looked good too, but they're still climbing out. The problem I'm having is with the larger nymphs that I feed my bigger leos. They can take dubia nymphs that are about half grown, and those nymphs seem too small to climb out but every morning they're gone and I find them under the paper towel somewhere.

I heard dubia roaches were really bad climbers when I got them and I'm reluctant to try the petroleum jelly band in these small containers because the leos will probably track it everywhere and the roaches might get a lot on them before they're eaten. Do any of you use containers for mid-sized dubias that seem to work well? The only other thing I can think of is to use an exceptionally deep container and make the geckos some kind of platform so they can climb up and look into it, but I'm hoping there's a better way.

R

rcobourn

Jaiden23 said:
You might want to try a dish like this one:
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=389

I would think that the extra lip over the edge would make it very difficult for them to climb up and over.
That dish won't stop roaches from crawling out.. they barely work to contain mealworms. :) They have too much texture, they don't even slow a roach down.

Here is something to try... take the bowl you have, and cover the vertical surfaces with packing tape (the clear, slick stuff). It is harder (but not impossible) for the roaches to climb. It will probably work for a while until it gets a bit dirty, then the roaches can get a grip on it and climb out.

Other notes: my experience is with lateralis, which are smaller, so it may be easier to contain them. Also, if the dish isn't very deep, one roach will crawl up on one or two others and get by the packing tape. :main_rolleyes:

I take another strategy, which may or may not help you (I've had some limited success). I put the roaches in a ~pint size container, with some eggcrate (I actually use the little cardboard potting containers, but they are similar), and even some cricket food cubes, and lay it sideways in the leo's enclosure. The roaches may come out, but they take one look around and go right back in, as it is the best cover. The leos learn to go grab lunch out of the container. It isn't perfect, but most of the roaches that escape will find their way back there, unless they find a hiding place they like better.

Whatever you do, don't leave a female roach in there long enough to lay an egg case. It is no fun chasing baby roaches around to get them out of there.

Rhacodactyl

rcobourn said:
take the bowl you have, and cover the vertical surfaces with packing tape (the clear, slick stuff). It is harder (but not impossible) for the roaches to climb.

That's an interesting idea-I'll give it a try.

B

Beetle_Jucie

or use a glass or plastic dish....i use a plastic tray that came out of my tool box for my leo, and for my beardie who eats the larger roaches i use a much deeper tupperware container thats sunk into the floor.....so long as the sides are higher than their front claws can reach when they against the side then they cant escape

daniellebluetoo

gecko hoarder
OH, I like the idea baout the pint container on it\s side!!

I use tupperware made for sandwiches, I cut a sizeable hole in the middle of the lid (it kind of looks like a moist hide)
put the roaches in ther witht he lid on, and most will stay in til eaten, I say most because if your leo goes in more often than not a few hitch a ride out!

I also use turk roaches.

TheRoachGuy

The Roach Guy
I use what they call a cap for a 3-4 inche pipe. Go to lowes in the plumbing section where the keep the large 3-4 inch pipe that is mainly used for under the house plumbing for septic systems, I use the end cap piece for that. Its about 3.5-4 inches across and is at least 1.5 inches deep with good weight to. I was using the ask tray but changed to this, works great.

K

Kwyk

Just spray the surface with cooking spray and they can't climb it anymore(never fed roaches so thats just what i heard)

TheRoachGuy

The Roach Guy
yeah that would work greta my gecko only eats 4-5 roache and he is done within 4-5 mins so that would work great if someone wanted to bond with the reptile

Visit our friends