Igor is not Igor

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have had a leachianus gecko, Igor, for nearly 5 1/2 years. I was told he was male and it seemed to me that he was male. Last night Igor laid 2 eggs. The cool thing about leachies is that they can, on occasion, lay fertile eggs without benefit of a male and hatch parthenogenetic babies. I'm incubating the eggs. Check back to this thread in 3 months!

Aliza

Yvonne G

Administrator
Staff member
Great news! Hopefully you get babies. Wow, 5.5 years and no male to fertilize them. Tortoises can hold sperm for a few years. Ain't nature wonderful?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I had a bearded dragon that would lay eggs every summer. One summer I incubated an egg that never hatched, but when it clearly wasn't going to hatch I opened it to find a fully formed baby. I can't say in that case that the dragon had never been with a male because she'd been with her brother before I got her (but I'd had her 4 years before she laid a fertile egg). The leachie gecko isn't a case of long-time stored sperm because I've had her since she was a 7-gram hatchling and she's never been near a male leachie.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The egg I found and wrote about still looks good but is clearly not fertile (candling). I also found an older egg which is molding, so no geckos from these clutches. I check her regularly to see if she's going to lay anything else.

Aliza

Visit our friends