I'm just getting started.

SusieLou

3 Year Member
Hey. I'm planning on getting a leopard gecko. I'm totally new to this type of reptile. So I have a few questions and I'd really truly love any advice.

I have a 20 gallon fish tank that will be housing my new friend.
Is 20 gallons too big, due to the fact that there's a larger area that needs heating?
Will I need to provide only one hide, or more because of the size of the enclosure?
What type of moss and how much should be good for the moist bedding area?
If feeding it crickets should I provide it another food source as well? Such as what?
When doing research it mentioned a bowl of calcium? Vitamins were also mentioned. Could I have the calcium supplement and vitamin supplement in the same bowl?
Can someone explain gut-loading the crickets? I'm not sure I quite understand the reason for this or how to go about doing it.
I know that with sand there are a lot of problems with impaction. I was going to go with the reptile rug. What are your opinions on that?
Uhm, I think that that's all I got for now.
Thank you!

Gopherhockey03

Hey. I'm planning on getting a leopard gecko. I'm totally new to this type of reptile. So I have a few questions and I'd really truly love any advice.

I have a 20 gallon fish tank that will be housing my new friend.
Is 20 gallons too big, due to the fact that there's a larger area that needs heating?
Will I need to provide only one hide, or more because of the size of the enclosure?
What type of moss and how much should be good for the moist bedding area?
If feeding it crickets should I provide it another food source as well? Such as what?
When doing research it mentioned a bowl of calcium? Vitamins were also mentioned. Could I have the calcium supplement and vitamin supplement in the same bowl?
Can someone explain gut-loading the crickets? I'm not sure I quite understand the reason for this or how to go about doing it.
I know that with sand there are a lot of problems with impaction. I was going to go with the reptile rug. What are your opinions on that?
Uhm, I think that that's all I got for now.
Thank you!

1. 20 gallons is just fine! Its perfect for one leopard gecko and will give him/her all the space it needs for the rest of its life!

2. I have 3 hides and recommend that! A hot humid hide is a MUST trust me !!!... A hide on top of the heat mat... A Hot humid Hide... And a cool hide... Those are in order of what my luna prefers.

3. I put sphagnum moss in there and enough to cover the bottom of the container and so its squishy for her to lay!

4. I give mine 5 dusted crickets on M W F SU along with 5 meal worms.... T- Th just meal worms... Saturday is treat day I give 3 wax worms 3 crickets and 3 meal worms!!! It works just make sure you dust the food!!! Giving just meal worms can also be done! But like Tortoises they like having a variety :) I recommend start breeding some meal worms save some money! here's my thread for that!!! http://geckotalk.com/index.php?threads/breeding-meal-worms-for-dumbies.150/

5. Yes a mix my calcium with D3 and Leopard gecko stuff together!

6. Well I breed my crickets and meal worms and I keep apples carrots and potatoes in there with them. Or when you get the crickets put them in a Kritter keeper with apples potatoes and carrots on a substrate of oats they eat them then provide the nutrients from them to the reptiles =) just make sure you offer the insects some good food!!!

7. NO SAND haha but I LOVE REPTILE CARPET!!! I have two sheets of it I throw it in the wash machine then the dryer and swap it out when I feel its dirty! Another awesome thing is they poop in the same spot everytime (mine does at least) Find that spot and place a little square of toilet paper and they actually go on it! They are certainly good little poopers!!!

Remember 95 (on floor) on hot side and 75 cool side... ambient air temp on hot side should be about 80... Have a humid hide!!!!!! Anything else just ask! I'm sure others will also chime in and tell you what works for them. But this is what works for me and my little girl is growing fast!!!

SusieLou

3 Year Member
Awesome, thank you. What do you use for hides? Do you just have a bowl of that calcium and vitamins available at all times? Awesome about the reptile carpet, stoked about that. Also, I cannot believe that you have a potty trained gecko. That's insane haha. Right on, for you. Thanks again!

Gopherhockey03

I use a rock cave that holds heat ===> http://www.petmountain.com/product/...-107636/exo-terra-exo-terra-reptile-cave.html its the medium one. At night my gecko loves laying on top of it! For my humid hide I use tupperwear that I painted with non toxic acrylic paint, keep the top on and it holds humidity and the moss in there making a mini sauna! Ya I have a meal worm dish and I keep meal worms and my supplement and D3 in there together all the time. Yes reptile carpet is awesome! And yes its nice for me cause all I have to do is toss the TP away and it's clean!!!

SusieLou

3 Year Member
I got some of the enclosure set up. I went to petsmart (my cousin works there so I got her discount). I found a fish tank accessory that looks really great with the moss for the humid hide. It's made of plastic so I think it will have the same affect. I have a kidney bean looking thing for the water dish and a little dish for the supplements. I'm going to another petsmart to look at other hides. And to purchase my gecko. THIS IS IT! :D

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Wow jaizei, that thing is fancy! Like a little fort!

Congrats on your decision to get a gecko SusieLou! You won't be disappointed by these amazing animals! Looks like you already got some great advice in this thread. Don't forget to update us with photos! ;) :)

Geckomaster743

1. 20 Gallons is Fine for a Leopard Gecko though it can house up to 6.
2. Keep 3 Hides in the 20 Gallon. 1 for the Hot side 1 for the cold side and 1 for the Middle Depending on there mood ( This will save you time when you get new Geckos Instead of having to get new Hides you will already have the 3 )
3. Moss Is Fine and you dont need to much.
4. If your looking for another good food source id say Meal Worms! ( Always Dust your Crickets with Calcium )
5. You can Mix the Vitamins and Calcium but make sure they are the right Vitamins ( Dont Mix up there Vitamin Diet like adding stuff you would not find in there Meal Worms or crickets ) Only Buy Vitamins from Pet stores dont cut up apples and do it your self.
6. Dont Ever Use sand. The Reptile Carpet is Perfect so they dont swallow Sand while there Eatting and they can eat there worms with ease.
7. By the way Gutloading is the Term for " You are what you Eat ". What your feeding your Geckos is called the Gut Load. Gutloading is Specificly choosing to feed your Geckos Food some thing healthy so when your Gecko its the Cricket its already FULL of Vitamins and Calcium through there diet.

Gopherhockey03

Well if you put 6 in there you have to add more hides, that takes up a lot floor space. So they don't really have any space at all. How would you monitor that many geckos bullying and how much they have ate etc. Putting 6 Leopards in one tank would be like putting 6 humans in a 12'X12' room and saying here live in here for your whole live and share everything. I just think 4 leopard Geckos in a 40 breeder is even pushing it! These animals aren't group animals so why treat them like that.

SusieLou

3 Year Member
I got them! Sorry it took me so long to update (college pshh)!! I'll put up some photos soon. Thank you everyone for the great advice.

Oh, and by them. I mean I got two. I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF :D

SusieLou

3 Year Member
I got them at petsmart, I saved 18 dollars because I have the pet perks card. Also my cousin works there and I got her discount so I saved like 15% more or something. They had four and when I saw them I couldn't help but to get two of them. I knew that the twenty gallon tank would be ok for the both of them. I understand that I will have to keep an eye on them when they get bigger because they may start fighting. But they seem to love eachother as of now. Snuggling in their warm hide. As a side note, I got to hold a Crestie and I'm so in love. :p

Gopherhockey03

Right... Looks like you have the Gecko bug like the rest of us... I am getting a crestie as soon as it warms up here. (current temp -10 feels like.... -35) But ya did you get that feeling like when you first got your Torts? That exciting I WANT MORE feeling haha.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I keep 3 in a 20L, that seems to give everyone room. I use coconut halves for hides. They can climb over them better than the plastic. I also use compressed cocnut fiber for hte moist hides. Its holds moisture well, and you can tell wehn u need to re-wet it because the color gets lighter. I hate reptile carpet... they snag their nails and teeth on it. I use newspaper for hatchlings and floor tiles for adults. Just pick up the poo with a paper tolw and clean with a reptile cleaner... you dont even have to remove eneyone!

Sammerz1990

3 Year Member
i used to own a crestie... her name was Ninja ! and she was my mini dinosaur, i miss her so much she sadly passed away. i still cry everytime i see one that was the same vibrant orange she was. she loved being on my shoulder or wrapped around my finger. and she always was happy when i took her out of her cage to feed her n just spend time with her...
it took me nearly a year and a half to want to find a new reptile because i loved her so much and i felt as if it was my fault she died.
so thats when i decided to get leopard geckos... and they didnt need as much care as her.
i hope she is happier now in reptile heaven.

Visit our friends