I'm really not sure what to call this thread.

cassadaga

Oregon Rainwater
Maybe this has been discussed before, but I didn't find anything in my search. I was wondering about this in the TOS:
Posts and threads commenting on any business or individual with regards to their business and/or reptile husbandry ethics are not allowed on GeckoForums.net. This includes complaints about retail pet stores.

I was just wondering why that is? I would think it'd be an important part of our hobby to warn to be wary of unethical, immoral, or just ignorant companies who handle live animals. I definatly don't think anyone should be slandering or flaming anyone else, but I think we can all agree there are some people and companies who should not be allowed to sell reptiles/animals.

I'm not trying to necassarily change the rules, because I'm sure there is a good reason, just curious. :main_robin:

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
There was a pretty specific incident that caused this to be in the TOS. Lawyers had to be involved and one party threatened to sue the owner of the forum (Kelli) for what member here said about them. To avoid any future issues and drama that rule was instated. We have a Trader Rating system for transactions done here and try to point people to Fauna's Board if Inquiry where you can search through hundreds of threads about people good and bad dealings in the reptile community. Their BOI has been around for a long time and is used by people from all over the world. It's very effective so there's no reason to have it in this forum.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Simple. GeckoForums.net does not have the money to keep legal counsel on board to defend us when things are said about the way people or companies do business. Libelous and slanderous comments and accusations are sometimes difficult to weed through to get the 'real' story, especially when emotions are involved.

Also, these types of threads and posts generate a LOT of unnecessary drama which GeckoForums.net really doesn't want to deal with... not to mention having the moderation staff constantly on the lookout for inappropriate posts and comments. We just do't have those kinds of resources.

We all agree that these "unethical, immoral, or just ignorant companies who handle live animals" should be exposed and not allowed to sell reptiles/animals. We also believe scammers and thieves should be, too!

The BEST place for these types of inquiries and comments pertaining to businesses and individuals in this hobby is Fauna's Board of Inquiry (BOI).

cassadaga

Oregon Rainwater
I figured the answer would be something similar to this. I feel it's an infraction on our freedom of speech and press that you can be sued for what you or someone else posts on an internet message board.

Anyway, I don't really have anything negative to say about anyone, I just thought it would be an interesting conversation.

Visit our friends