Im stumped and really need someone's help.

Neo.Reptiliac

Ok I have had a project going on for a while now. I plan on building a unit into my living room wall that will house a few gecko tanks. The unit will be 6ft tall, 4ft long, and 18" deep. I was going to run 2 rows of heat tape up the back with backing board (its thin and has tiny holes in it for those who dont know.) along the back of the whole thing. I was thinking of going with 11" tape. Would this be too much heat for each cage in the unit? Should I go with something narrower?

Neo.Reptiliac

This is pretty much what I had in mind. The pinkish red color is where the heat tape would be in the back.
unitwithheat.jpg

robin

i actually like back heat but i like it in my AP racks the plastic stuff they use holds the heat well. anywho 11 inch heat tape would be the best to use. thinner may not put the heat out you want and also the 3 inch tape is more likely to overheat than the 11 inch because of the amount of wattage per inch. be careful though of what kind of material you place the heat tape on. don't want to start a fire ;)

Neo.Reptiliac

Thanks. I planned on using backing board that has all those little holes in it. Is that a bad idea? Would I be better off drilling holes in a thicker wood?

robin

how think are you talking? is the backing like 1/4 thick or that compressed non laminated stuff?

Neo.Reptiliac

I had the idea while looking at my chicken egg incubator. It basicly uses the same idea. using a heating element along the back, as the heat rises it blows it down onto the eggs with a fan in the ceiling of the back. On the unit I am planning on making it where it would blow the hot air around in a circle to cycle the heat in the back behind the acctual unit. Pushing the air into the holes along the backing board. The space between the unit and the wall would be about 2". And there would be a 2" space on each side of the unit and the wall as well. before I go through with building this unit I want to just make sure that everything has been thought of and fixed before I run into a problem after its built.

Neo.Reptiliac

I was thinking of something like this.
PegBoard20HB-750px-blk.jpg

And of course the fan and tape would be hooked up to a thermostat.

Last edited:

robin

i doubt you would need a fan, honestly. also i do not know if you would get very even temps on that kinda backing. i think you are making this kinda over complicated. hmm i will get my husband (who is the know all of fix its and build its) to check out your design but i think there is a way you could do this much easier with the same results. the reason why this may not work say like your chicken egg incubator is because of its sheer size. anyways my husband will be home in about 2 or so hours and i will get him to look this over.

Neo.Reptiliac

i doubt you would need a fan, honestly. also i do not know if you would get very even temps on that kinda backing. i think you are making this kinda over complicated. hmm i will get my husband (who is the know all of fix its and build its) to check out your design but i think there is a way you could do this much easier with the same results. the reason why this may not work say like your chicken egg incubator is because of its sheer size. anyways my husband will be home in about 2 or so hours and i will get him to look this over.

Thanks, Im open to any options. I want this to work the best it can. =P and lord knows Im not the best at building things.

Russ S

Re-Member
OK here is my opinion on this. I don't think you need the holes or the fan. I do however feel that your temps on the top of the rack are going to be much higher than at the bottom. That said. I would personally run the heat tape horizontally and use a minimum of 2 thermostats. The sheer size of the unit will make maintaining even temps with less virtually impossible.
I also think you should reconsider using belly heat on a unit that will be holding tanks. I don't think you will get enough heat with it on the back.
Hope this helps.
Russ

Neo.Reptiliac

OK here is my opinion on this. I don't think you need the holes or the fan. I do however feel that your temps on the top of the rack are going to be much higher than at the bottom. That said. I would personally run the heat tape horizontally and use a minimum of 2 thermostats. The sheer size of the unit will make maintaining even temps with less virtually impossible.
I also think you should reconsider using belly heat on a unit that will be holding tanks. I don't think you will get enough heat with it on the back.
Hope this helps.
Russ
Thanks Russ. It wont be holding tanks. The unit its self will be the tanks. The front will be a solid peice of plywood with spaces cut out and glass doors added.
Sort of like this one but made of wood.
941131.jpg

And cause of the heat being mostly at the top that is why I thought that the fan might work circulate it.

Neo.Reptiliac

Another option could be covering half of each section with 11" heat watt. That would require some drilling in the wood for wires, and another layer of something inside each section's floor so that the heat tape isnt directly on the geckos and so that it doesnt get wet, but its also an idea/possible option.

justindh1

I don't know if this will help ya but these are the blueprints that I made up! This hatchling rack works perfect. I put a 1/2" space between the back of the shelves and the back plating ao it helps regulate the temps better. Also i put in a vent in the top to allow the heat to escape and not build up with it all rising. I split it into two sections. The top 5 and bottom 5 shelves are on there own thermostat. It makes it where you can adjust them seperately to acount for the heat rising and the colder temps on the bottom. Hopefully it will give you some ideas. You can use the blueprints as well as anyone else if you like em.

Last edited:

Neo.Reptiliac

I use both style racks and I see no difference at all in the growth rate, health or activity in my animals...

In my opinion, either one is good as long as you can maintain the proper hot spot and ambient temperatures...

A little curious hun, how do you maintain your temps? Any advice is helpful. Do you use 2 thermostats? A vent? Fan?

Visit our friends