I'm worried about my gecko

thisnameisoriginal

Hi everyone, I have a giant madagascan day gecko, I've had him for almost 6 months and he is around 8 months old.

Please help, I am worried because over the last few days he has started to get black patches on his face and head, I can't find anything similar online and I was wondering if anyone here knew or had experienced anything similar. I will include some pictures.

Some info, my male gecko lives alone in a live terrarium, he is eating and drinking as normal, he is still active at the top of his tank (in his usual spots) and I don't handle him.

If anyone knows anything about black patches on giant day geckos please reply, it will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20190526_090446.jpg
    20190526_090446.jpg
    777.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190526_090430.jpg
    20190526_090430.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190526_090506.jpg
    20190526_090506.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

thisnameisoriginal

What is his lighting system like? There is an article about a giant day gecko getting burned by his lights, though this doesn't look like a burn. Here's the article: http://www.geckotime.com/a-tale-of-dangerous-lighting-with-p-grandis/. There may be other things in it that relate to your problem.

Aliza
Thanks for the article I'll give it a read. I have a 100w light bulb set to 30°c with a thermostat, it's on the outside of the cage and about 20-25cm away from his basking spot, do you think it could be a burn? I am new to keeping geckos, so far I have been going of information I have found on the internet.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
When you read the article, compare your setup to the author's description. She also alludes to the idea that some of that darkening could be from stress, though it sounds as if there is no significant stress in his environment currently.

Aliza

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
That doesn't look like anything more serious based on your photos. Keep a close eye on it. Can you post some more photos of the affected area?

thisnameisoriginal

Hey so yeah I took him to the vets today and the reptile vet told me he didn't know what was wrong with him.

I wasn't happy with the vet visit either because the vet was very unprofessional, he didn't know what type of gecko he was. When I told him what he was and started to explain to him that does not like to be handled, the skin shedding defence reflex and how they are super fast etc. He just said (very arrogantly) well I have to look at him dont I and went straight in to grab his back. Ofcourse my gecko darts out of his box and the vet then grabs him by the tail so OFCOURSE my gecko looses his tail): we caught him in the end. Yes I know that geckos do drop their tails when threatened and that it is a natural reaction. But had the vet just listened to me in the first place, the whole situation could have been avoided, we could of got my gecko out of the box carefully and gently.

Sorry to rant, I am just really upset after today):

Here's a pic of little gecko now. He's doing okay although he looks alittle worse off.

I have to say though little gecko was really cute when I put him back in his tank. When I got him home he had gone black from stress and was basically playing dead, but when I put the tub down in his tank he slowly looked around with his eyes and then when he realised where he was he lifted his head up all proud and happy and instantly changed back to green. I'd say he was smiling (if geckos could smile). I'll attach a picture of that too since it was pretty cute.

Also does anyone have any advice for things I can do for my gecko while his tail is growing back - to help him heal etc. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20190603_230420.jpg
    20190603_230420.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 20190603_154412.jpg
    20190603_154412.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

thisnameisoriginal

He does look glad to be back and his tail will regenerate somewhat. I don't think you have to do anything special. I recommend seeing if you can find a day gecko group to ask about this. You can also email Leann Christenson at [email protected] (I got that from her website daygecko.com) with pictures and ask her about it.

Aliza
Thank you so much. I will send her an email today and see what she says.

Thank you!

Visit our friends