I'm Worried

earls413

My gecko won't come out of his warm hide unless I pick him up and when I release him he goes right back in there. When I hold him he seems kind of bloated and just sits there, he used to climb all over me. My husband says he's eating ok he just seems like he doesn't feel good to me, what do you think. I'm so attached I'd be devastated if something happens to him.

GeckoGal

GeckoGal
A picture would really help. Some geckos don't like to be handled and would rather stay in there hides when people are there. Some more details would really help, how big is he? how big is his cage? what substrate is he on? what are the temps? and is he still going to the bathroom on a regular basis?

earls413

Hi thanxs for responding. He's an adult I don't know his size. He's in a 10 gallon tank with the repti-carpet a warm hide a cool hide his temp is between 75-85 on his warm side. He eats mealies and drinks plenty of water. He's very tame and loves to be held actually crawling into your hand to be picked up when it's feeding time and he can be hand fed. I haven't seen him go lately and he's not shy about anything. He's just laying around and I'm worried. I'm having trouble posting his picture.

ZooKeeperKarin

How long has he been hanging out in the warm hide? Mine seem to go through phases,but our 4 month old spends the majority of her time in her warm hide.
I'd up the temp also. Mine are usually around 90, as a minimum. Is the room air conditioned?

earls413

The room is air conditioned the Uth has it at 75-80 and I don't think it's adjustable so how do I raise the temp. He's on the cool side now.

ZooKeeperKarin

I'm not a big fan of lights, but you may have to add a 25 W light. Either that or turn down the air conditioner.
Do you have blocks under the tank you could remove? Less air flow under the tank would hold the heat in better. Just make sure electric cords are not squished.
Or how about adding a stick-on heater to the glass on the side of the tank?

Visit our friends