Infrared Temp Guns?

C

Cryptly

Anybody use an infrared temp gun? Are these things accurate?

I'm looking at one, but I'd like to know if it will be more than a nifty laser toy before I buy.

J

Jungle Habitats Plastics

laser temp guns are so worth the investment ( used in temping hot spots cold spots body temps air temps ) I will say that however the small cheapos work they have been known to vary a few degrees each way ( my buddy has three protemp mini guns . I hve a Raytek MT-4 laser gun ( automotive use for pros) was about $89.00 i can temp the same thing with it 5 times get same reading the $25 guns will vary 1-4 degrees from every reading so make sure you splurge alil and get a quality gun the life will be worth it and ruggedness. I have dropped mine more then i have held it and it works great still today as the day outta da box

C

Cryptly

The one I was looking at was called PE-2. Fairly basic, and not too pricey (but not too cheap either). I'll check out the Raytek ones as well. :)

Nifty laser toy that's fun and useful! :laugh4:

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
Cryptly said:
The one I was looking at was called PE-2. Fairly basic, and not too pricey (but not too cheap either). I'll check out the Raytek ones as well. :)

Nifty laser toy that's fun and useful! :laugh4:

If you want a PE-2 I will sell you mine cheap, I never use it

J

Jedi Master Bruce

Jungle Habitats Plastics said:
laser temp guns are so worth the investment ( used in temping hot spots cold spots body temps air temps ) I will say that however the small cheapos work they have been known to vary a few degrees each way ( my buddy has three protemp mini guns . I hve a Raytek MT-4 laser gun ( automotive use for pros) was about $89.00 i can temp the same thing with it 5 times get same reading the $25 guns will vary 1-4 degrees from every reading so make sure you splurge alil and get a quality gun the life will be worth it and ruggedness. I have dropped mine more then i have held it and it works great still today as the day outta da box
I have about the same one as Jungle Habitats. Really cool, accurate, invaluable for the advanced hobbyist.

robin

i have to agree the raytek's are awesome! i do have a small one i got from pro exotics. is ok but like alan said they can vary a few degrees. by the raytek is always right on the mark.

S

shrap

Yeah I have both as well and find the Raytek the much better product.

T

TheHiddenGecko

I have a PE-1 and I payed $30 for it. It's pretty good but the only thing I don't like about it is that I can't check the temperature of eggs because by the time I can get the lids off, the temperature already dropped a few degrees.

N

nora

i got a $20 temp gun from radio shack 2 years ago and works great.. of course i dont know where i put it now.. so i cant extactly tell you what it's called.. but like i said.. for $20 its worked pretty good.. especially with the temp "sensitive" critters..like my T's and ammies. =)

C

Cryptly

Thanks for all the input! :)

I'll probably go for the Raytek later. Right now I need something that will work well (my digital one has been twitchy lately :( ), but doesn't cost too much since I've got several other things going on at the moment.

robin

nora said:
i got a $20 temp gun from radio shack 2 years ago and works great.. of course i dont know where i put it now.. so i cant extactly tell you what it's called.. but like i said.. for $20 its worked pretty good.. especially with the temp "sensitive" critters..like my T's and ammies. =)
T's as in tarantulas?

Visit our friends