Insects

Silas0526

My crested gecko will not eat insects. I have tried giving him crickets and dubia roaches. They are the right size for him to eat, so I think he does not like them. Does anyone know how to make him eat them, or what insects he might like?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Is he an adult or a juvenile? The standard practice is to hold the gecko and poke an insect at its mouth. It will often open its mouth and bite. If it's rejecting insects because it's unfamiliar with them, this may do the trick. If it just doesn't like them, it's worth getting a flavor of CGD that has insects in it so the gecko gets the protein. Otherwise, it makes sense to throw a few crickets in the cage periodically because it may eat them when you're not noticing.

Aliza

Silas0526

Is he an adult or a juvenile? The standard practice is to hold the gecko and poke an insect at its mouth. It will often open its mouth and bite. If it's rejecting insects because it's unfamiliar with them, this may do the trick. If it just doesn't like them, it's worth getting a flavor of CGD that has insects in it so the gecko gets the protein. Otherwise, it makes sense to throw a few crickets in the cage periodically because it may eat them when you're not noticing.

Aliza
My gecko is a juvenile crested gecko.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If it's a juvenile it's even a greater possibility that you'll be able to successfully introduce it to crickets if you try my recommendation!

Aliza

Silas0526

If it's a juvenile it's even a greater possibility that you'll be able to successfully introduce it to crickets if you try my recommendation!

Aliza
I do not have crickets right now, but he wouldn't eat a dubia roach. I even tried putting pangea on it.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some of them just won't! I have one (that I got as an adult and that I can't really handle) who pretty much doesn't but he's about 7 years old now.

Aliza

Visit our friends