Introduction

L

Lloydy

Hey there everyone,
just thought id introduce myself as i am new to the forum and the world of Geckos!
My name is Andrew, im from Melbourne, Australia.
I own a 9 month old Bearded Dragon named Chace, and have recently found an interest in the smooth knob-tailed gecko.

I am yet to purchace one as i am still working out what is actualy needed.

I was wondering if i could perhaps get some tips of people that own them and that have some experience in keeping these amazing little guys!

What i can gather, for a pair of levis levis, i need an enclosure of about 60cm x 40cm x 30cm (LxWxH) preferably a glass (tank) enclosure with 3 of the sides blocked out, so they feel more secure.

Heatmat, covering 1/3 of the enclosure, which in a glass tank setup, would sit under the tank.
The heatmat should be controlled by a thermostat, which the probe for it should sit ontop of the sand. (hope thats right, please clarify)

I know hides should be added but here comes my first question, how many hides need to be added? And where abouts in the enclosure should they be added?

Temps? Im honestly not to sure what temps are needed, so if someone could please advise me.

I guess another question would be the substrate, what is best to use? And what kind of depth should i have? Should it be all the same depth through out the whole enclosure?

I think thats all my questions for now, haha..

Thanks alot guys!

kenske

Welcome to one of the best gecko forum.

The following works for me:

What i can gather, for a pair of levis levis, i need an enclosure of about 60cm x 40cm x 30cm (LxWxH) preferably a glass (tank) enclosure with 3 of the sides blocked out, so they feel more secure.

This is fine.

Heatmat, covering 1/3 of the enclosure, which in a glass tank setup, would sit under the tank.
The heatmat should be controlled by a thermostat, which the probe for it should sit ontop of the sand. (hope thats right, please clarify)

Personally, i would put the probe (from thermostat) directly on the heat mat or on the bottom of the glass tank (directly above the heatmat) and the probe (from the thermometer) in the sand. I would also be concerned with the gecko coming into contact with the hot glass surface when they dig.

I know hides should be added but here comes my first question, how many hides need to be added? And where abouts in the enclosure should they be added?

I would have (1) on the warm side and (1) on the cool side for each gecko. So if you MUST keep the pair together, then i would have (4) hides total.

Temps? Im honestly not to sure what temps are needed, so if someone could please advise me.

I try to keep the warm side mid to upper 80s and the cool side in the low-mid 70s

I guess another question would be the substrate, what is best to use? And what kind of depth should i have? Should it be all the same depth through out the whole enclosure?

I use fine playsand for adults and hatchlings without any issues.

Checkout this link for a good care sheet:
http://www.australianaddiction.com/knobcare.html

L

Lloydy

Thankyou for the warm welcomes and replies.

"Personally, i would put the probe (from thermostat) directly on the heat mat or on the bottom of the glass tank (directly above the heatmat) and the probe (from the thermometer) in the sand. I would also be concerned with the gecko coming into contact with the hot glass surface when they dig."

How could i fix this concern? How do you house your Gex?

"I would have (1) on the warm side and (1) on the cool side for each gecko. So if you MUST keep the pair together, then i would have (4) hides total."

Im acutaly only going to be keeping the female at my house, while my girlfriend with have the male at her house, Sorry if i missled you.

What kind of depth should i have? Should it be all the same depth through out the whole enclosure?

This question still applies.

Sorry for copying your idea with the qoutes in red :p
Buts its nice and easy to read.

Thanks for the caresheet too.

kenske

Not sure about a solution for it. I do not have any geckos housed in that setup. I keep mine in a rack system. Maybe you can try putting a thin piece of slate tile over the area where the heat mat is adhered. Then put the sand in. Try it out, monitor your temps for a few days and see if you get the to your desired temp. Maybe other members with this setup can chime in...

I like to keep it in varying depths, but not necessary.

No worries about copying the idea...i'm sure i did not come up with it..lol

Good Luck!

Regards,
Kenny

Visit our friends